CHAPTER 6

“If there's one thing I learned, it's that nobody is here forever. You have to live for the moment, each and every day . . . the here, the now.”-- Simone Elkeles, Perfect Chemistry.

~

“Hey! You’re already here!” Autumn exclaimed as she opened the door for Zayn.

“Ready to go?” he asked.

“Yeah. But, where exactly are we going?”

“I promise it’s not a club.”

She heaved a mental sigh of relief. “Good.” She said. “I’m in no mood to navigate through crowds of inappropriately dancing people.”

He smirked.

“What?” she snapped, looking at his expression.

“You’re such a child.”

She rolled her eyes. “I am not. I’m just sensible.”

He smirked harder. “You’re a wuss and you’re boring.”

She played along. “Why are you my friend then?”

“Because, Autumn,” he said grabbing her wrist and pulling her along with him, out of the flat “you can’t live without me.”

She wriggled her hand free and stopped in her tracks. So, he stopped too. “What happened?” he asked.

“I need to lock the door.” She said.

He sighed and let her do it.

Whilst in the car, Autumn stated. “For the record, I’m not boring.”

Zayn snorted and replied “Yes, ‘course not!”

“I’m not!” she defended.

“Really?”

She nodded, then realised he couldn’t see her nod, since he was driving. So, she said firmly “Really.”

“Okay, then, tell me. When was the last time you just let go of yourself and had some fun? When was the last time you got so drunk that you didn’t have a care in the world? When was the last time you forgot about the world and just ….i don’t know….danced the night away or whatever.”

She couldn’t think of the last time she did any of that.

“See my point?” he said.

“Fine. Okay. Alright. What do you want me to do?”

“Just do what makes you happy. Don’t give a rat’s arse about what anyone else thinks.”

She mulled over that for a while. “Fine. Let’s do that, then.”

“What?” he asked, confused.

“Stop the car, turn around and let’s just go to a bar or something.”

“I didn’t mean that you had to do it today!”

“Todays as good a day as any. Besides, I’d rather I was with you than Scarlett. She’s probably shaking her head with disapproval right now.”

He stopped the car to the side of the road. He looked at Autumn, gave her a mischievous smile and said “Screw her.”

He turned the car around, and kept driving. Autumn didn’t bother asking him where he was driving to. She was excited about the prospect of just having fun. The adrenaline of the thought took over her mind.

Once, Zayn stopped the car, Autumn opened the door to get out.

“I have to warn you. There may be cameras in everywhere.”