Chapter 14

Whoooooooo Hooooooo!

 Yeah!

 Aaaaaahhhhhhhhhh!

 Whoooooooooo!!!

Screams reverberated around us. The sounds bounced from one cliff to the next like a psychotic Ping-Pong ball until it felt like the screams were coming from above, behind, between and in front of us. It wasn’t a pleasant sensation at all and I jumped. It was the last thing I’d expected to hear and it shattered, I mean obliterated, destroyed and vaporised, our happy bubble.

 What the fuuuuucckkkkk?

You’ve got to be kidding, right? This had to be some kind of big, fat cruel prank. This wasn’t happening, surely this wasn’t happening? Our lips had been mere millimetres away, and now, in less that a few seconds, his lips were standing at least five feet from me. Damien stared towards the tunnel; the screams grew louder and the roaring engines were coming closer.

I’d suspected it a few times in the last few days, and now I was certain of it; recently it had started to feel like something was controlling my life, turning it into a farce, a comedy of the absurd for someone else’s amusement. Maybe that bitch Karma was yanking my strings like a floppy, wooden puppet and making me dance to her twisted little tune. Or maybe I was stuck inside a movie and the writer and director were having a big fat chuckle as they manipulated me like a pawn around the board, or maybe none of this was real and I was actually passed out somewhere thanks to my brother's little white pills. Or what if I was really a character in a book and some evil wench writer (this could only be the handiwork of a deranged woman) was typing away on her Mac, smirking to herself as she toyed with me. I hated her!

The boat finally burst into sight, sending white rippling waves out in every direction as it sped towards us. I could see four people on board, and judging by all the ‘whooping’ and ‘woohooing’, they were all in party spirits. And then... hang on... suddenly Damien jumped and sprinted across the beach.

 Why? Why was he waving and shouting? Why? Why?

And then I looked closer and my heart not only dropped, but it climbed out of my body, jumped into the lake, and sank to the bottom to sleep with the fish. Jumping -- no, springing gracefully like a baby Gazelle in a tiny bikini -- was hipster chick. I pressed pause in my head and she stayed suspended in mid-air. I looked closely at her. She was smiling, she was springing with open arms, she was excited and she was about three sizes smaller than me. I mentally pressed play again and she went pirouetting onto the beach and into Damien’s arms, the arms that I’d just been in! My arms! Not hers.

They hugged. It was gut wrenching.

He spun her around in the air. It was heat breaking.

They tripped and collapsed onto the sand. It was nauseating.

Suddenly I really hoped there would be human sacrifice tonight.

I was glaring at them so intently that I hadn’t even noticed the guy who’d gotten off the boat and started walking towards me.

When my mother gets sent a play, before even reading it, she goes through the character descriptions. These are short, concise tit-bits that give you an exact image and understanding of the character. And if the guy walking towards me was a character in one of my mother’s plays, this is what it would say….

Name: Jeremy “Jerry” Matthews

Age: 29

Height: Six foot two inches