Rule Number One

• Dedicated to Everyone who reads this!

A/N:  Hey! This story is based on a real-life experience, of course I added a whole lot of plots and etc. Will be focusing on this story because... I like it a lot. ^_^v

Enjoy reading!

▶◆◀

                                   1.    Falling in love with your assigned person is forbidden.

“Falling in love?” Ayden chuckled, crumpling the sides of the paper with his grip, his velvety laughter echoing around. Light was abundant in his realm; a realm people on Earth believed in. It was way up in the skies, but the ground wasn’t paved with clouds. Instead, it was a little town with smooth roads and perfect meadows that no painting on Earth would be able to portray.

There he was, sprawled out in the middle of a meadow, the waterfall pounding melodiously a few yards away. His brown hair was tousled naturally and his bangs were swept to the side, hiding his forehead.

Ayden Zanshire received his first assignment as a full-time guardian angel. He decided it was a time to get his gears working permanently.

Ayden smirked and sat up, staring at the cloudless, clear blue sky. It was the time to prove himself to God.

As he flipped the sheet of paper over, his pearly whites were revealed in a huge grin. It was the name of his assigned person.

HayzelVry

▶◆◀

“Hayzel, please be careful this time.” My mother cautioned me worriedly. You can’t blame her for that, I am a klutz sometimes. The last time I went out with my friends, I almost fell into the man-made river in town but some guy suddenly knelt on the edge to pick up his quarter so I fell onto him instead.

After a million of apologies, he just smiled and carried on away. Of course, my friends were raging mad at the town council for not barricading the banks of the river.

I, on the other hand, was too shocked over the ordeal and inwardly, I was grateful to no end for that guy who dropped his quarter.

On hindsight, it was a really weird coincidence.

“Yes mum, I won’t walk on the banks of any river.” I jokingly assured her, and she flashed me a comforting smile.

With that, I grabbed my coat and red muffler before heading out onto the freezing pavement. Christmas was nearing and the temperature was falling fast.

The cold nipped at my denim covered legs when I stepped out. Immediately, I rifled for my phone in my messenger bag, punching in Riesa’s number. It rang thrice before a muffled voice answered my call and I paced along the pavement quickly.

“Hays, hurry up! Claire, Axel and I are already at the cinema, where are you?” Riesa’s raised voice emanated from the speaker and I couldn’t help but flinch at the volume.

“I’m on my way, I just forgot about the meeting time,” I grimaced and continued hurrying down the street where a few couples were strolling along hand in hand, “I’m sorry!” I breathed.

“It’s alright, just get here as soon as you can. We’ve already bought the tickets.” She sighed.

As I ended the call, a sharp pain rushed through my right shoulder as some burly man in a trench-coat rushed down the pavement, bumping into me a little too roughly.

My newly bought phone flew out of my hand and rolled onto the road just beside the pavement I was on. I cursed under my breath and rushed to the road without second thought.

When I picked up my phone, I dusted and examined it. Unfortunately, there was a large crack that ran down from the top to the bottom of my phone.

I frowned and tried to turn it on but I forgot the dire situation I was in. Life decided to remind me of it, as blinding headlights flashed on my left.

Fear struck me hard and rooted me to the ground. It was as if I was in a dream, except I wasn’t. The couples around didn’t even notice the klutz of a girl was in the middle of the road.

The impact came, softer than what I would expect.

“Are you okay?” A soothing voice resonated from above me. I realised I had my eyes shut so I closely let them flutter open.

Steel grey irises met mine. He was just inches from my face with my body in his embrace. It took me a moment to figure out that he saved me from being flattened into ham.

I nodded slowly and he grinned before helping me up.

“Thank you,” I muttered gratefully and started dusting myself, “So what’s your name?” I asked, and when there wasn’t any reply, I looked up to see that there was no one there.

Gulping, I scanned the area around me and true enough, the stranger disappeared. That’s creepy, I thought to myself and bolted to the cinema.

When I arrived, Claire squealed, “Finally! Let’s go, the movie’s starting already.”

We decided to watch some mythical movie with man-eating unicorns, and honestly, it was really scary. By the time the movie ended, my face was buried deep in my muffler.

“Aw, is someone scared?” Axel mused teasingly beside me when the credits rolled in and I scowled, hitting him lightly on the arm.

Everyone poured out of the cinema and the four of us decided to remain behind to enjoy the heat from the radiators.

“So what took you so long?” Riesa asked from my right.

“I-I just left home late…” I forced a smile, contemplating if I should tell her what happened.

“Really?” She arched an eyebrow at me and I nodded weakly, feeling the guilt of lying sink in.

Riesa shot me a suspicious glance when suddenly a cleaner working in the cinema came in and chased us out.

▶◆◀

“It seems someone sent a guardian angel to this little girl,” He grunted, his voice low and menacing, “And not just any angel.”

“Who’s the angel?” A sly smile was plastered on his finely chiseled face, “and the unlucky girl?” Zayne fleered.

The Devil handed him a piece of crumpled paper, similar to the one Ayden received, “Your dear brother Ayden.” Zayne’s brow perked up at that name and looked down at the paper. He received a mission and Zayne knew clearly that it’d be a challenge.

The twist in his mission was that Zayne had to do everything in his power to make her life miserable to test the protection of her guardian angel.

It was his job as a familiar spirit. Yep, Zayne Azhyrs, the very well-known fallen angel with a brother as a guardian angel... What irony.

“Remember rule number one.” The Devil stated, and Zayne almost rolled his eyes. “It’s forbidden to fall in love, I get it.” Zayne sighed.

He then unfolded the paper and ran his finger on the name printed on it, smirking to himself. Hayzel Vry, be prepared to face your worst nightmare, he thought. It was time for a family reunion with his brother.

▶◆◀

How was it?

Vote / Comment / Read the newspaper / Donate to the needy / Wear a unicorn-inspired hairband.

^_^v Thanks for reading!