Chapter 10

The next week flew by as Charlie lived in the library. Hilliard scheduled the week as personal research days so class didn't meet. Which was probably a good thing since she was so busy ignoring all of the emotions and desires that were whirling around inside of her.

Hilliard didn't contact her to dog sit. He had texted her that he had taken her bag to the department office and she was welcome to pick it up at any time. She had no clue what excuse he gave the secretary but she didn't look at her oddly so it must have been plausible.

Friday, when she opened her email she was stunned to see one from her mother. She had no clue her mother even had an email address or even knew what her email address was.

The email her mother had sent her was simple and to the point, asking her if she would be willing to drive up to the base and have lunch with her at the house the following day.

Charlie put her head in her hands and held back the urge to run. She didn't want to go, she could pretend that she never read the email, but she was an honest person by nature and the thought of the lie made her uneasy, so despite the fact that she didn't want to go, and with shaking hands, she responded to her mother with one word, why?

It only took a matter of minutes for her to get a response.

"It's time, we have a lot of catching up to do, and I miss my daughter." She then assured her that they were in the same house and gave her the time to be there.

How could she say she missed her? It had been ten years without a word, why now?

Then she remembered Devon. If Devon had mentioned meeting her and said something similar to her about not knowing she had a daughter her mother would feel the need to put on a show. She hated gossip, and the thought that people might think that she had a daughter that was an outcast or disowned would not do.

If this was the case, and she didn't show, then she would keep inviting her. Sighing, she realized that she was most likely right so she agreed and then looked at the time. She would have to go shopping.

Charlotte Temple, daughter of Tabitha and Admiral Gerald Wren, could not show up to brunch in a t-shirt and jeans. She would also need a haircut she thought as she packed up her stuff and headed towards the library's exit.

*******

The next morning exactly at half past eleven she rang the bell of her mother and stepfather's house. She had gotten her hair trimmed in a layered style that fell just past her shoulders. The hairstylist had wanted to do something dramatic and she had declined. After today she was going back to her simple ponytails. She had bought a simple pale pink sleeveless dress that zipped up the back and fell to just above her knees. It was expensive and looked it. She had also bought matching heels and a purse; spending more on the outfit than she had spent on her entire wardrobe for a year.

She had been raised by her mother and then sent to a finishing school so she knew how to walk the walk and talk the talk, she just hated it.

The door was opened by a gray haired man she didn't recognize.

"Yes?"

"I'm Tabitha's daughter. I'm here for lunch."

If he was shocked or stunned he hid it well as he opened the door wider, and just as Charlie had suspected the house was full of people. It seemed this was a brunch party, and she would be expected to play a part. She looked around and noted that the room was filled with naval uniforms, suits, and pretty dresses.

She tucked her purse under her arm and walked further into the room pretending that she belonged. She didn't recognize anyone at first but eventually she spied her mother and her stepfather, who looked older than she remembered and not nearly as intimidating. As she slowly made her way over to them she plastered a smile on her face when she noticed that Tabitha was talking with an older couple who were laughing at something the Admiral had said.