Chapter 6

The next day in Hilliard's class they had a lively discussion between the military brats and the nonmilitary brats. The topic was about exclusion and how most military brats, had at one time or another, felt total exclusion.

"Charlie, what's your take on this?" Hilliard singled her out from the rest.

"Every situation is different, just as every personality is different. I have met kids who dreaded a new move and then I've met those who loved it because it was a chance for them to reinvent themselves. From a non-military perspective, a new kid to school is exciting, and I personally always enjoyed meeting them." Her comment started off stories that began with, well my first time at a new school....

The conversation eventually moved to kids who had moved to new schools who were not in the military and those differences when Hilliard pulled his phone out of his pocket and looked at it.

"O.K. class that's all for today. I know the syllabus said that we would have class Thursday but we will move that date to the following Thursday. I expect you all to work on your research and papers and I want an update email by Tuesday of next week." The class started emptying as he packed up his stuff. He turned to Charlie and motioned for her to wait.

Having little choice she did as he wanted, and followed him out the door and up the stairs to his office. Once there he opened up his computer and began writing what she guessed was an email.

"You still have the key to my house?"

Charlie blinked in surprise. She did, she had completely forgotten about it. She reached into the front pocket of her bag and pulled it out holding it towards him.

"Can you watch the dogs? I had it arranged for next week but that won't work."

Charlie closed her hand over the key and nodded. She was actually glad he had asked. Maybe that was why she had subconsciously hung on to the key.

"Thanks," he said distracted. He picked up his phone and looked at the screen frowning, and Charlie left without a word as she wondered what part of the globe he was off to.

*******

That evening as she entered the backdoor of his house she felt as if she was home again. It was a wonderful feeling to be greeted by the dogs who kissed her and followed her as she put her stuff in the bedroom.

She noticed that the bed was unmade so she stripped it and put the sheets in the laundry before she went through the fridge for dinner. There was not a lot there and she would have to do some shopping for the week.

She turned on the T.V. and started to cook dinner; the dogs sticking close to her side the entire night. Feeling happy and relaxed she got to work on her class projects.

*******

Wednesday night or Thursday morning of the following week, depending on how you looked at it, Kellan entered the house and found a plate of chocolate chip cookies on the counter. He could really get used to the treat thing. He opened the fridge and poured himself a glass of milk and ate half a dozen cookies. When he finished he moved down the hall and into his bedroom to find Charlie asleep. The evening was warm and she had thrown the covers off revealing her long legs. She was curled on her side and her lips were partly opened.

Not for the first time he wondered what had happened to her to make her hide her beauty and to fear attraction. He thought he had found the answer first with her stepfather and then when she said that she had lived in student housing since the age of fifteen. But he wasn't so sure.

He hated to wake her but he was not about to sleep on couch after the week he had. He opened his dresser drawer and pulled out some pajama bottoms closing it as loudly as he could. Nothing, if anything she gave a little snore and cuddled more deeply into his bed.