Chapter 1

“Dad, don’t forget you have Alice’s parent teacher conference today.” Ross, my eight year old son reminds me.

I glance down at the watch on my wrist and curse under my breath. If I don’t leave now, I’ll be late.

“Thanks Ross, grab your sister and take her next door while we’re gone. Be good, you know Mrs. Kane is getting old and can’t put up with your shenanigans.” Mrs. Kane is our elderly next door neighbor who kindly offered to watch the kids whenever I was busy. That woman is a saint.

“I take that offensively.”

“That’s the point. Alice get down here, we’re going to be late!”

“Coming daddy!” My little princess skips down the stairs in her purple sun dress, her blonde hair in pigtails, making her tiny ringlets look even more adorable. I smile proudly at her.

“Go grab something to take in the car for a snack real quick while I go get your sisters diaper bag ready.”

I take the steps two at a time to find Ross changing Hazel from her pajamas, into her play clothes. I grab all the necessary items needed and started backing the bag. Once I was finished, I slung the bag over my shoulder. By now, Ross was done changing Hazel.

“Daddy, carry me!” I chuckle at her bossiness.

“Yes ma’am!” I pick her up off of her toddler bed and rest her on my hip. My free hand is gently placed on Ross’s upper back, guiding him downstairs.

“Alright everyone ready?” They all nod their heads in agreement.

“Alright Griswold’s, let’s get this show on the road.”

 I take hold of Alice’s hand and we walk across the street to Mrs. Kane’s house. Mrs. Kane has an old, Victorian home, complete with the white picket fence and everything. I open the white gate and walk on the stone sidewalk leading up to the porch. Ross races up the porch to ring the doorbell; I just shake my head and roll my eyes.

By the time the girls and I are at the porch, the door was being swung open to reveal the one and only, Mrs. Kane. You see, Mrs. Kane is the type of grandma that every child wants, the kind that will make cookies for you and knit you scarves. I think the kids mostly enjoyed going there for the cookies, but whatever makes them happy.

“Come in come in, you’re letting all the cold air out.” As I say my round of goodbyes, I hand the bag over to Mrs. Kane.

“Be good Ross and keep an eye on your sister!”

“Yes dad.” He says dragging out the vowel in dad.

Back on our side of the street, I unlock the car and buckle Alice into her booster seat.

“Daddy, can you put in my favorite cd?”

“Sure sweetie.” I dig through the middle compartment until I find the CD I was looking for.

I swear this girl was born in the wrong era because she is in love with NSYNC  and the backstreet boys. We listen to the cd the whole way to her school. Once we were there, I let her guide me to her room. We knock on the door once and walk in.

I laid eyes on the most beautiful woman I’ve ever seen in my life. She had long blonde hair that reached the middle of her back. She was tall with impressively long legs.

“Hi, Ms. Murray!” Alice says.

Ms. Murray turned around startled, then visibly relaxed once she noticed who was here.

“Hi Alice, how are you?” she asked.

“I’m good, this is my daddy.”  She turned towards me and presented me with a smile.

“Hi there, I’m Keith, Alice’s dad.”

“Nice to meet you Mr. Campbell, I’m Ms. Murray, but you can call me Mairi.” Once again, she presented me with an award winning smile.

“You can call me Keith as well.” I side.

“Very well, what do you say we get started?”

I'd like to dedicate this chapter to SummerBreath for making me a beautiful banner(: