~Twenty One~

That morning I got the newspaper off the front step after I heard it smack into the red door. I checked for anything that might be advertising for hiring. I read that some kind of animal shelter was looking for volunteers, I wasn't a fan of animals, there was also an opening for some kind of maid service and cleaning was definitely not my thing. There was also just a notice that said 'Help Wanted' but it didn't say for what. A number was listed to call. Curiosity killed the cat and I dialed it on the cordless house phone. A man with a gruff voice answered.

"Hello?"

"Hello. Hi, um, I read something about a help wanted ad in the newspaper and it said to call this number?"

"Yes." I heard something rustle on the other end.

"Exactly what is it that you-"

"Are you good with filling paper work, organizing papers, and keeping track of records?"

"Yes, I guess." I cleared my throat.

"I own a fishing store. I'm also a fisher," his voice was low and reminded me of gravel being crunched. "I need someone who can keep track of inventory of buying and selling of goods in my tackle shop while I, uh, fish."

"How much would I get paid?"

"Are you a high school student?"

"Yes-"

"Six-fifty."

"But that's below minimum wage-"

"And you're not an adult and have only so many options."

I sighed and thought. "When and for how long would I work?"

"Every day but Sunday from noon until five." I thought about it. I would get a little over thirty dollars a day, but that was more than I was making at the moment. It seemed like it would be an easier job then dealing with people and quiet too.

"Alright-"

"I'll schedule you for an appointment at noon today," he said. "And we'll see if you get the job. I'm located on James street. My shop is called Jacob's Tackle Shop. It's by the water closer to the edge of town near Little NayNay's Boutique."

"Oh, I know where that is," I said. I had been to NayNay's twice since I had moved here. They had beautiful dresses and adorable outfits. "I'll be there at noon."

He hung up. I had forgotten to ask for his name but I wanted to assume that it was Jacob but, then again, just because that was the name of his store it didn't mean it was his. I looked at the phone as the dial tone went on. I hit the red button and put it back on the kitchen counter. I sighed. I had one goal down in the many I would make throughout my life.

I looked at the clock to see it was ten.

I left a note for Finn and then took my shower. I fish tailed my hair to the left before applying a minimal amount of make-up. I grabbed my purse and drove. I wasn't sure if I should call my parents or not to see what they thought about it or so that someone, other than Finn who didn't exactly exist to the rest of mankind, would know where I was in case this man wasn't a good person. So, I called Connor.

I parked in the gravel drive of Jacob's Tackle Shop. It was a green building with a rusted red truck parked a few feet down from me. There were a couple windows and an old sign signified the name. It wasn't anything special, and it had clearly had better days, but it wasn't too bad.

I took a deep breathe of the smoldering Florida air and hoped the building would have air conditioning. A little ding sounded as I pushed the door open, relishing in the blast of cool air that greeted me. The walls were white and so was the tile, off white shelving units created isles. Behind a glass counter stood a short, tan, semi-fat man. Fishing supplies were all over the store along with paints for boats and many other things. He looked up as I came closer.