December 23, 2013

Chapter 6: December 23, 2013

"Today is going to be a good day, Marie." I have to tell myself that everyday just to muck up the courage to get out of bed, even though I know it probably won't turn out to be true. I've brushed my teeth and done my make-up so now it's time to get some grub before work. My sister is already up and in the kitchen. "Morning, sis. Where were you last night?"

"I stayed at Sebastian's." I was really hoping I wouldn't have to 'mom' my little sister while she stayed with me, but staying out all night without warning is not gonna fly.

"You know you've got to let me know when these things happen. After Riley, I get nervous if you don't come home." She rolled her eyes. "Why is it so bad for me to care about your well being?"

"It's not bad. It's annoying. I moved here to get away from mom and dad, but, somehow, you make me feel more like a kid than they did. I'm sorry your girlfriend got abducted. It must suck to wonder where she is 24/7, but I'm fine. Nothing is gonna happen to me."

"You don't know that. Riley probably didn't think anything could happen to her either, but look where that ended up." She looked down at her cereal in silence. One of these days she's going to realize that no one is immune to danger. I'm surprised growing up in Baltimore hasn't taught her that by now. Plenty of teenagers and grown adults have suffered at the hands of random acts of violence in that city while she stood idly by, watching it all happen. "Meredith, I just want to know when you are or aren't coming home, alright? I know you're smart enough to handle yourself but a little heads up is all I'm asking for." She nodded in agreement before continuing her breakfast. Somehow, I've lost my appetite. "I'm headed to work. I love you, kid."

"I love you, too. Today's a good day to have a great day." Sometimes, her words of wisdom are just what I need to make it through.

Before I could get to my car, I noticed Rian standing across the street smoking a cigarette. What the hell is he doing here?

"Can I help you?" No response. He just kept smoking while he glared at me. "Okay..." I got in my car and started heading to work. I noticed Rian get in his car before following me. This doesn't make any sense; why is he after me? I know he thinks Riley's missing because of me, but stalking? That's a little overboard. We got a few blocks away from my job before I pulled over to confront him. He got out of his car just as I did. "What the fuck is your problem?"

"You are. Where is my sister?"

"How am I supposed to know? I've been trying to figure that out, just like you!"

"And I'm supposed to believe that?" Just as I was about to rip Rian a new one, my phone began to ring. "Hey! I'm talking to you!"

"Shut up." Riley's name is showing up on the caller ID. Is she really okay after all this time? "Hello?" I desperately waited, but no one was speaking on the other end.

"Don't even try ignoring me, whore. Where in the hell is my sister!?"

"Shut the fuck up, Rian! Someone is calling me from her phone!" I went back to the call to see if I could hear anything, but the line went dead. "Fuck!" I dialed the number back to no avail; it went straight to voicemail.

"Was it her?"

"Oh, now you believe she's out there somewhere?" Typical. Everyone wants to point the finger until the first bit of evidence points somewhere else.

"I just want to know where she is." Tears started to stream down his face. "She's all I've got, you know? I don't know who I am without her." He may be a complete dick that I've never gotten along with, but, right now, he's just a man in pain. I pulled him in for a hug while he sobbed for his sister.

"I'm sorry you're hurting, but I swear I had nothing to do with whatever happened to her. I love her, Rian." He looked up at me with apologetic eyes before letting his head fall back onto my shoulder. I sincerely hope that was actually Riley calling because, if it wasn't, we've got some serious things to be worried about.

"Why did she have to be taken so close to Christmas? Why can't we just be a normal family? First our parents die and now this." He started to lose the strength to stand and I dropped slowly to the ground with him. "I don't know how much more of this I can take! I don't know how to be alone. I came into this world with her and now I have no one. Do you have any idea what that's like?" I don't. I wish I could relate so he could have some comfort but I genuinely have no idea what that feels like.

"I'm so sorry. We'll find her, okay?" I'm not even sure if I believe that, but I need him to believe it. He's going to have to be strong if his search party is going to get anywhere with finding her. "Just breathe, Rian. You've got to breathe." His body is trembling. I'm not sure if anything I say can help him relax. I remember Riley telling me how she would sing him to sleep while they grew up because his anxiety kept him awake at night. It's worth a shot. "Hey, everybody loses it. Everybody wants to throw it all away sometimes." I'm not the best singer, but I have to do what I can to calm him down. "And hey, yeah I know what you're going through. Don't let it get the best of you; you'll make it out alive. Oh, people like us, we've gotta stick together. Keep your head up, nothing lasts forever. Here's to the damned, to the lost, and forgotten. It's hard to get high when you're living on the bottom."

"We are all misfits living in a world on fire." He joined in singing with me in between his sniffles. "Sing it for the people like us, the people like us." He pulled away to look at me. "Thank you. I'm sorry I ever suspected you. You're a good person." I smiled and pulled him back for another hug. "We'll figure this out; together."

"That's all I want, Rian." I helped him up and hugged him for what seemed like the millionth time. "You're not alone in this."

"I believe you."

------------------------

Song - People Like Us by Kelly Clarkson