March 16, 2011

Don't forget, the dates of each chapter fluctuate so pay attention to what day your reading!

-------------

Chapter 5: March 16, 2011

"So where exactly are you taking me, because, for all I know, you're a serial killer." I guess my nonchalant sarcasm caught Riley off guard because it stopped her mid-step.

"Damn, what gave it away?" Deep down I know she's kidding, but the look on her face is surreal. "I'm just joshing you. We're headed to the skate park to hang out with some of my best buds."

We've been walking for a good 15 minutes. The lazy in me wishes we had taken my car to this skate park but the path we're taking is quite scenic.

"So, you're also a skateboarder?"

"No, but Cameron is trying to go pro. We come to record him doing ridiculous tricks to help him reach his dream." How genuinely selfless of her to help someone get to where they want to be.

"Have you been friends long?"

"Honestly, no. But I guess that depends on how long 'long' is to people. Eyes of the beholder, yeah?"

"That's an interesting way to look at things." Maybe if I could learn how to spend more time in the moment, my life in America wouldn't have become so complicated.

"It's just over this hill. Just a heads up, my ex girlfriend might grill you just for being in my presence. Sorry, in advance." Great, just what I need: drama on my second day in a new place. "Hey, guys, what's hanging!?" All of Riley's friends turn to look at her before shifting their gazes to me. "This is Marie. She's the new girl in town, straight from America." A guy with a skateboard in one of his hands is coming towards me with his other hand extended.

"It's nice to meet you, Marie. I'm Cam." His eyes are such a piercing blue it's hard to look anywhere else.

"Hi, it's nice to meet you, too." His grip is so firm for such a gentle looking guy. That'll take him a long way. The others are just waving and smiling, except for one girl swinging her legs in the skate bowl. I assume that's the ex Riley mentioned.

"This is Skylar, Aydin, and over there is Emma." Emma looked over her shoulder at me for a split second and then whipped her head back for a double take.

"Why is she here?"

Riley gave her a slight glare with the same level of animosity Emma gave with that question. "She's here because I'm showing her around. Do you have a problem with that?" Emma turned her head back towards the bowl and went silent. "I didn't think so. How's the video coming today, Aydin?"

"Well, it'd be going a lot better if Cam would stop wiping out." That drew a roar of laughter from Riley and Skylar.

"Yeah, yeah well I wouldn't be wiping out if someone would stop distracting me."

"Hey, man, it's not my fault you keep trying to do impossible stunts on that shitty board of yours. How about I show you how it's done?"

Riley's eyes are as wide as can be. "Dude, you don't even skate!"

"Watch me." Aydin puts one foot on Cam's skateboard, but suddenly looks unsure of himself. "Actually, I wouldn't want to show off in front of the new girl here. I might ruin your chances." I let out a chuckle when Aydin winked at Riley.

"It's boys like you that drove me to be a lesbian. Trust me, you couldn't ruin my chances with anyone."

I look over at Emma who is back to staring at me. That looks like my queue to get the hell out of here. I came a long way to avoid drama and the last thing I need is to start some more. "I forgot, I have a cable guy coming to set things up at my house. I should probably head back." Riley has a questioning look in her eye, but seems to be aware of why I'm leaving.

"Alright, I'll walk you home. I'll be back guys." I say my goodbyes to everyone, except Emma, and start walking with Riley. "Did Emma make you that uncomfortable?"

"I guess I'm busted?" I hope she doesn't see my decision to leave as cowardly. "I had a lot of problems back home that started with petty drama. I don't want to live my past." She nodded as if to understand my thought process.

"I don't blame you. Her jealousy is the entire reason why we broke up in the first place. I'm sorry for putting you in that situation. I forgot she would be there until halfway through our walk."

"No, no, it's not your fault. To be honest, it's not even your problem. It's hers." I can see my house in the distance and truthfully, I don't want to go home. "Thanks for introducing me to your friends. They're pretty funny."

"Yeah, they're alright." That smile of hers can lighten any mood. "I'll try to bring you around when Emma isn't there."

"If you do that, she'll end up feeling like I'm replacing her in the group. Maybe I can have a one on one with her instead, just to alleviate any issues she thinks she has with me." Not taking on a problem head on solves nothing. I would know.

"If you think that's a good idea, go for it." We're finally at my front door but I don't wanna go in. "Is there even a cable guy coming?"

"Not for a few hours. I guess I'll just have to be bored until then."

"Do you want me to stay until he shows?" Here we go again with this selflessness of hers. I've never met someone who genuinely cares for other people's well being so much.

"No, that's okay. Your friends are waiting for you. I'll just call my sister or something." She smiled before pulling me in for a hug.

"Call me for anything, okay? See you later." I let go and laid a kiss on her cheek.

"Thanks for trying."

-------------

Don't forget, the dates of each chapter fluctuate so pay attention to what day you're reading!

Song - Drama Club by Melanie Martinez