Twenty

Balin stood in for my father. He was the one who raised the hammer and brought it down upon the circle of dwarves gathering around Thorin and I to symbolize the protection of both families over our union. And when the long vows were finally spoken and repeated, I became Thorin's wife, and he, my husband.

But there would be no huge feast to mark the celebration, no music and song to commemorate the union. None of that I wished for, though I wondered if Thorin would have yearned for such things. He was, after all, a prince of Erebor, used to such pomp and celebration, yet now he was barely getting even a hint of one. 

For as everyone rejoiced with us, I could see the tight set of King Thror's and Prince Thrain's faces as they gazed upon Thorin - and something inside me grew cold.  Were they happy for him?  I wondered.  Did they really believe me an impostor, fearing that I had simply fooled their young prince?  I watched as Thorin accepted their well wishes, three generations of proud dwarves standing in a circle as Bernd took me aside to give me his congratulations and encase me in a hug that lifted me off my feet.

But after Bernd said his good night to Thorin and I, promising me that he was returning to Fennhill with Inge, and that Jürgen would come to see me on his own, Thorin took my hand, brought it to his lips, and asked me if I was ready to retire into our chambers.  He had had someone transfer my meager belongings from my room into his, and as he shut the door behind him, he led me to a small table that had been set for two, complete with two plates laden with steaming food.  A bowl of fruit had been set in the middle next to two flagons of wine and two matching goblets.  It all smelled so delicious and before I could say anything, Thorin's belly rumbled.

He shrugged unapologetically as we laughed.

"Even a dwarf needs to eat if he knows what is expected of him on his wedding night," he smiled.

"And what is expected of him exactly?" I asked as he pulled up a chair behind me and I sat down.

"That's for you to tell me," he said as he leaned towards me, arching his eyebrow playfully as I blushed, looking away from his penetrating gaze.

But all thoughts not involving food were soon banished from our minds for we were both famished.  No amount of desire for each other at that moment would have kept us away from the steaming food on the plates, from the generous cuts of mutton and even sausages, and the breads.  After all, we were dwarves, and dwarves love food. 

As we ate, Thorin told me that Dwalin and Arna had taken care of setting the table, knowing that we hadn't had anything to eat since coming into the dining hall.  He hadn't expected it, but it was still a wonderful surprise, and one that we both appreciated beyond words.  He told me that he'd known Dwalin since he was a young boy, and that their friendship had withstood through the years, and undoubtedly would withstand the rest of their lives.

Thorin's accommodations were much more generous than mine had been.  He had two rooms, separated by a thick curtain that had been secured in generous folds along the arched doorway.  The fire burned in the hearth, keeping us warm as we dug into the food and the wine, glad to have some privacy where we could simply eat without being disturbed by well-wishes and the requriement of courteous conversation that would have been expected of us had we joined everyone else in the dining hall.

With the exception of Frerin and Lady Mani who retired to their own chambers, we were the only ones who did not accompany the rest of the wedding party back to the dining hall.  It felt strange seeing Thorin removed from his own family and kin as they celebrated in the main building, wondering whether he knowingly wanted to be apart from them on such a special night.  But I had no wish to socialize with strangers tonight - even if they were now my own kin.