Seven

Thorin's arm around my waist gripped me so tightly that I could barely breathe. As Bernd stared at the waterfall in front of him, he might as well have been looking straight at us, and my heart thundered inside my chest as his eyes appeared to stop right where Thorin and I stood behind the cover of water and ivy. Bernd's eyes narrowed.

"Be quiet, woman!" Thorin whispered, his mouth by my ear. I could hear him breathing heavily as he held me even tigher.

I dug my fingernails into Thorin's arm, wishing he'd ease his grip on my waist but it was no use. Thorin was much stronger than I, and the last thing he wanted was for Bernd to find us.

"Master Bernd," said one of the men. "We tracked the trail through here. It stops up the slope over to the back of the waterfall."

"I know this place," Bernd said and I held my breath for a few moments as he scanned the area slowly. Of course you know of this place, brother, I thought. Jürgen used to take us here during the summer when we were younger so we could cool off.

Though Jürgen never revealed the presence of the caves to Bernd, we'd come here on our own twice, the first time getting lost and finding ourselves all the way to the edge of the forest two hours away. The memories stirred by his presence made me sad. Just yesterday I had served him stew and he had bragged to Thorin about how excellent I was as a seamstress. He'd been so proud of me then.

Bernd turned to look away from the waterfall for a few moments before turning to look at it again, as if he'd seen something, felt something. Behind him, one of the men approached, speaking to him though I could not hear him over the sound of the water hitting the rocks below.

As I watched Bernd listen to one of his men, I remembered how close Bernd and I were, realizing that he knew exactly how I felt about Lialam. We had shared so much, I thought. Why then was he doing this?

Suddenly the rage that had been boiling inside me since yesterday erupted. I struggled against Thorin, wanting him to let go of me so I could run over to Bernd and hit him in the face so he'd see reason. I wanted to scream at him for his audacity of trading me like I was cattle.

As I struggled in Thorin's grip, I heard him growl in my ear again, telling me to be still. His hand muffled my voice but I screamed in anger behind his warm palm. But when I shook my head from side to side, Thorin's hand slipped and he cursed under his breath. When he brought his hand to my mouth again, I sank my teeth into his hand.

"Let me go," I yelped, as Thorin was finally forced to let me go, blood seeping from where my teeth cut through his skin..

Below us, Bernd's head snapped towards our direction the second time. This time, I knew that he had heard something. As I turned to run towards the entrance, Thorin tried to grab me but he slipped. Surely Bernd would listen to me if I came willingly, I thought, ignoring the sound of Thorin cursing after me, intent only in convincing Bernd to leave everyone else alone.

I would force him to see reason. He'd let Jürgen go. He would also retract his answer to Lialam for my hand in marriage. He was, after all, still my brother, even if we were not of the same blood.

I only made it a few feet before Thorin grabbed me by the arm and yanked me back. We both slipped on the wet floor together, and I landed hard on my back, the breath knocked out of me, stars flashing in front of my eyes. Thorin covered my body with his, his one hand grabbing both my wrists and slamming them down onto the ground above my head. His other hand clamped down over my mouth again as we heard the sound of leaves crunching underfoot just outside the cave opening. Bernd and his men were close by.

Thorin's face was frozen in a grim expression, his eyes darkening as he turned his attention towards the sound. The vines over the cave entrance rustled, and I saw Thorin take a deep intake of breath as the sound of the men's voices outside drew closer.