How We Began

"You can't separate peace from freedom, because no one can be at peace unless they have their freedom."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~.~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I guess I should explain how Sky and I began our adventurous life of being runaways. I'll start with her story.

Her mom and dad are divorced, a pretty common thing, right? Her mom, however, was an alcoholic. Still pretty common. But the worst of all was her older brother. Or mostly, her older brother's "friends."

Her older brother, Nick, was a drug dealer and a cheap bastard. He loved money, but it wasn't just simple things he dealt. When he would have his buddies over, he would make them pay a large sum of money to have sex with his "hot" sister, he considered her. His loser pothead friends were vicious. After they paid her brother, they would wonder over to her room, go in, and lock the door behind them. She would tell them she wasn't going to do anything with them. But they would get rough with her, wanting their money's worth, and end up raping her.

After this happened too many times, she started withdrawing into herself. I've always been there for her, but it was hard for me to control her situation. As often as I could, I would spend the night at her house just to save her from those low-lifes. But doing so resulted in a beating for me from whichever pothead paid to have sex with her.

In my opinion, her home life was far worse than mine. My story is a little different.

For one, I have two dads. Yes, they are gay. Does this mean I am? No.

I have always loved them, they're the best parents a kid could wish for. Then, I grew up, and my friends began discovering that I had gay dads. For some reason, I became an outcast, a freak. And suddenly, rumors were spread that I was gay as well. I'm not really one to mind too much about rumors, but it really pissed me off when people would talk badly about the people I loved who raised me.

That was when I started to fight everyone who said something about me.

I would hear guys whisper and point at me, and after hearing the word "fag" a million times, it became the fuel to my fire. And man did this fire burn!

I got into fight after fight, winning most, losing a couple. Pretty soon, guys were scared of me. I was suddenly popular...but with the wrong people. The "troublemakers" as most would consider them. For awhile, I became a part of them, where I then started an addiction to ecstasy and some other hard drugs. You think you can't get addicted to it? Take it a bunch of times, you will.

By that point, not even Sky wanted to be around me, no matter how close we always were. She called me a "monster when I'm high" and I guess in way she was right. She's always right....

One night, when I was actually sober, I called her up and told her to come to my house. She refused at first because my behvaior had been nasty lately, but then I eventually convinced her to come. Sky was reluctant to hear me out at first, but then she agreed, and we started planning.

I had introduced her to the idea of running away.

We both had multiple reasons to get away, and sure enough over time we collected, stole and borrowed as much money as we could muster up. Then, about a month later, we just left.

At first, we stumbled through the woods close to our neighborhood, where we camped out for awhile. When we first started out, we had plenty of supplies to survive. We had brought:

-A small, portable tent in a can. Who knew those got ruined easily?

-Two sleeping bags, even though we share one now.

-A shitload of food, snacks and junk food. Some fruits, though.

-All our money ($1,233)

-Four canteens. (just in case) and as many water bottles as we could find.

-Sunscreen.

-A comb and brush. Some toothpaste and toothbrushes too. Deodorant. A razor.

-A couple different pocket knives.

-Bunch of clothes (most torn by now, but still usable)

-Paper towels and a handkerchief, just in case.

-A very small first aid kit.

-A handful of lighters.

-Our cell phones (didn't work now)

The rest of it is mostly gone now, but we still have managed to survive on our own for this long. Pretty amazing, huh? Who would've thought we would've come this far?

And who would've thought I've began to have feelings for Sky?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

All for you guys <3 Let me know what you think.

~angel~