Chapter 11 - The Golden-eyed Hell

Chiharu ran faster than anything she could've imagined. Fuji's deathly words repeated in her ears.

"The master collapsed. He visited Kyoto to attend Rakuzan's school festival. He collapsed on the night before the festival in his hotel room. The young master didn't know his father would be visiting but when he received the news the next morning..."

Chiharu didn't want to recall what she had heard Fuji say about what Akashi did. She closed her eyes, praying. Just when she thought her relationship with Akashi had improved, something detrimental had to happen.

As the cab slowed, Chiharu shoved money at the taxi driver before opening the door and yelling back, "Keep the change!"

The automatic doors to the hospital parted as she ran into the white building. It smelt of antiseptic and cleaning detergents. She scanned the room and ran to the nearest empty counter.

"Uhh!" she cried, urgently as she tried to recall Akashi's father's name. "AKASHI MASAOMI!" she exclaimed as she finally remembered. "What room is Akashi Masaomi in?"

The nurse at the counter looked at the young girl suspiciously. As she hesitated, a voice from the other side of the room caught her attention. It was the old butler of one of a V.I.P guest.

"Chiharu-san!" he called with familiarity.

Chiharu's ears perked up at Fuji's familiar voice.

"Fuji-san!" she cried in reply. The nurse turned to the old man.

"You know her?" she questioned.

"Yes, she's a friend," replied Fuji. The nurse nodded in response.

Chiharu ran to Fuji, her hair messed up and eyes widened in panic. "Is Akashi-kun ok?" she asked immediately.

Fuji's gaze fell to the floor. "He's in the master's room. He won't talk to anybody."

"Bring me to him!" she requested.

Chiharu followed Fuji in to a large corridor. They went up an elevator and through another corridor before Fuji paused in front of a private room.

Chiharu cautiously opened the door. The room was mainly empty and noticeably had just been occupied. She could see a maroon-haired man, pale-faced and eyes closed lying on a white and crisp bed. She recognised the man as Akashi's father. He no longer had any signs of an intimidating aura, but seemed overtaken by old age and sickness.

She then turned towards the bright red-haired figure sitting in front of the bed. His head was pressed against the bed sheets and his hands were clutched together. Chiharu gently approached Akashi.

"Akashi-kun?" she whispered hesitantly as she peered over his figure, trying to get a glimpse of his face. She was ignored as expected. She turned to Fuji and he shook his head sadly.

Chiharu then did the thing she least expected she would dare do. She grabbed at his collar from behind and pulled him up to face her. Fuji jolted back by the harshness she treated him with.

She hesitated when she saw his face. It was an expression that the new Akashi would never have. Although his eyes were closed, she could see faint tear marks on his cheeks.

Akashi opened his eyes, those familiar ruby irises meeting her own peach ones. Chiharu released his collar, both hands covering her mouth. Those ruby eyes radiated a warmth she hadn't seen since Junior High.

He blinked and at once, those heterochromatic eyes returned. The beautiful red was consumed by a furious, steely and golden iris.

"Momoi," Akashi muttered darkly, his pupils narrowing. Chiharu took a step back as she faced a furious Akashi. He stood up from his seat and took steps forward until she was cornered to a wall.