please don't feed the children chp.13

SHAY’S POV

What the hell?

The kitchen around me shakes, beer bottle crashing to the floor and shattering glass around my ankles.

One second I was staring at Jason, but now everything was falling apart in my eyes. My brother was looking around, holding the kitchen table with one hand to keep him standing. I don’t think I’ve ever seen him so… helpless

“What the fuck is happening?!” he screams, staring at me with rage.

I tell him I don’t know, but that only infuriates him more.

What am I supposed to do though? He doesn’t understand…

I feel a hard sting on my cheek, and I realize Jason had just slapped me across the face. I don’t dare rub away the pain; I just look into my brother’s fiery eyes. For some reason I hoped he would calm down, but that was pointless.

He’d never give into peace.

“Go outside and see what’s happening.” He orders.

Another tumultuous shake makes Jason fall back, and he grasps the table to steady himself again.

“Now!” he pushes me forward.

Nodding like the good doggy I am, I rush towards the door. Nearly slipping with every bellowing quake running through the house, I run fast so I can find something to hang on. Beer bottles try to stop me, but I kick them away and let them roll into the corner. When I reach the shaking knob attached to the vibrating door frame, I pull and slide myself outside.

When I look around at the snowy landscape, I see rain falling from a black sky. The ground shivers, sending an unwanted feeling through my spine. I wrap my arms around myself, despite the flare of searing pain coming from my wounds when they moved.

From what I could assume, this was an earthquake.

A freak earthquake.

A very big freak earthquake.

One of the trees above me cracks, and a very large branch comes spiraling down. I burst to the left, just as the projectile lands on the ground where I had been standing.

I sigh in relief. Dying at random from a heavy tree branch was not the way I planned to go. Especially since no one would be able to protect Caroline if I wasn’t here.

Caroline…

My mind drifts off, ignoring the shattering sounds of thunder and crackling of weak trees.

What was happening down there in the cages?

After the screaming, I didn’t want to go down there and check on them- her especially- but now… now I just want to protect them. They could be in danger, they could be dead. And it’s my fault if I don’t go down there and save them.

But what about Jason?

He would never let me help them; he didn’t care if they were injured. He only cared about himself, his own protection. And now way in hell could I manage to sink into the basement undetected.

A branch snags me on the shoulder, fairing up my skin as it fell to the ground. This snapped me out of my thoughts and made me focus. I have to go back inside if I’m going to do anything at all.

 My skin dripping with water, I open the door once again to meet the eyes of my broken brother. He was sitting on the couch now, with his legs crossed underneath him. Guess he decided it was better if he waded out the storm instead of panicking through it.

Besides, he had me to rely on.

He had me to push around so he can save himself.

I keep the angry thoughts inside, not daring to rage against him.

Keep your goal clear. You need to get to them before it’s too late.

But looking back at Jason, who’s opening his mouth to command something of me, I know that goal is nonexistent.

They’ll just have to hang on for a little while longer.

----------------------

I apologize for the EXTREMLY short chapter, and the fact I only put in Shay’s POV, but that’s all I wanted to do. The next chapter will have Caroline’s POV and it will be longer than this.

I’ll put the whole jist of what happens in that chapter, which includes a BIG surprise… hehehe

The song today is hand of blood by bullet for my valentine.

Well, that’s all for now.

byeee