Chapter Nine- Letters to a Friend

When I woke in the morning, it was darker and colder than it had been for the past week, telling of winter’s nearness; which, when combined with an aching body, the sensation of vomit crawling into my mouth, and a headache strong enough to level a building, was unpleasant to say the least. On top of this sat the heavy weight of depression like a block of concrete.

My ears seemed not to be working as I showered and dressed and I realised that my left eardrum which had popped last year after taking Wolfsbane, had yet again erupted. Sighing I took that into account while sneaking out of the commons and up the school to the Owlery, noting how very few people were up yet for breakfast.

The Owlery stank and the scent of droppings was rancid enough to make me clutch my stomach as it despaired along with me. I went to the middle of the large, open room and dropped my bag to the floor. I was about to do something that I would probably regret to no end, but as I drew out my parchment, ink and quill and wrote down as much as I could I felt that perhaps it was the right thing to do. I had been unsure whether or not writing to Lupin would be a good idea, but I couldn’t think of anyone else I’d rather talk to at that point, nor did I think that I’d manage anything more than that.

“That should do it.” I muttered, reading over what I had written.

Dear Professor Lupin,

I know that it’s very close to the full moon and I’m sorry for bothering you, but I wasn’t sure who else to talk to, our friend abroad has been very hard to get hold of.

Last night, Harry’s name was pulled out of the Goblet of Fire and he’s been named second Hogwarts Champion along with a boy from Hufflepuff, McGonagall isn’t happy about it but the other teachers and Dumbledore seem content on allowing Harry to compete. I’m unsure whether this is because the Goblet instigates a ‘binding magical contract’ or not, but either way, the danger of the situation is evident.

I only bring this up because it is unclear who placed Harry’s name in the Goblet and because Dumbledore’s suspicion has fallen on me. Last night he and Snape questioned me about the Goblet and where I had been the night it was placed out in the Entrance Hall. They think that I put Harry’s name in the Goblet, and they think I did it because Voldemort told me to.

I did not put Harry’s name in that cup and I wouldn’t no matter who asked me to, and certainly not if that person was Voldemort.

Hoping this letter finds you in good health,  

Imogene Hydrus.

I didn’t like the tone of my letter and I was afraid that it sounded ridiculous but I honestly couldn’t think of who else I could talk to- Sirius was a nightmare to get hold of and I didn’t want to be the one to tell him that Harry’s name had come out of the cup; Hermione was always quite hard to talk to; and there were some things that I couldn’t tell her; then there was Harry, but he would be in a worse state than I was over this.

I found an owl that didn’t look too shabby; a large Brown Owl who didn’t nip my finger as I tied the letter to his leg, and he flew off.

There was so much more I wanted to talk to Lupin about, like my dream, and how my transformations had become even more violent now than they had ever been when I’d been alone before. But to have that sort of information flying about when I knew that there was a traitor inside Hogwarts seemed foolish.

I walked down the rain slicked steps of the Owlery, and at a window, glanced briefly up at the clouded sky, it was hard to tell, but I guessed that it was just around seven o’clock, which meant I had a few hours to kill before I could go looking for anyone. A normal, not completely mad person probably would have gone back to bed, feeling as I was, but I obviously was out of my wits, because I decided that I would walk around the school instead.