Chapter Eight- The Cry

I was tired as I trudged the gravel path up to the Entrance Hall, my headache, no better or worse than it had been the day before. There was a definite bustle of people inside the Hallway that I had correctly anticipated, after all, the champions would be selected tonight, and those brave enough (or stupid enough) to enter, would be doing so, seemingly before a gathering of students.

Lunch was laid out in the Great Hall and though my stomach growled angrily, I ignored it and instead, slinking through the cluster of people and down the stairs, to the commons.

It was relatively void of life, and the few people that were around, paid me no attention, for which I was immensely grateful. I went to the Dorm and changed quickly- thankful for the warmth an extra two jumpers brought me.

Holding my arms around my body, I hopped back down and then up the staircases to return to the Entrance Hall, before hurrying inside the Great Hall for the last of lunch- I wasn’t looking forward to the feast tonight, but I was going to have to go, whether I wanted to or not. I helped myself to a few ham sandwiches and a glass of Pumpkin Juice.

“Hey, Imogene!” Hermione called from across the Hall- I looked up, extraordinarily surprised that she wasn’t in the Library, or in the Entrance Hall somewhere with the boys. She beckoned to me and I stood, having nearly finished my lunch and not really feeling like the rest of it anyway.

I did my best to put a smile on my face and went over to the Gryffindor table, tucking my legs under the bench and sitting a little apprehensively beside her.

“I didn’t see you at breakfast this morning,” she began abruptly, “Where were you?”

“I just didn’t feel like eating.” It was quite possibly the worst lie I had ever told in my life, and I knew that my voice and expression, weren’t putting forth what I wanted her to believe before she picked up on it.

“I know that’s not the truth,” Her eyebrows rose and she gave me her best McGonagall look, I couldn’t help but sigh.

“Alright,” I looked around and there were many people about so I didn’t really want to talk about it at the table in case we were overheard. “But we should go somewhere else.” I suggested. She nodded her understanding and stood- probably leading me to the Library.

Sure enough, five minutes later we found ourselves at our table in the Library, surrounded by the familiar books, that I’d read all but three of.

“Okay, so explain.” She invited me and I pursed my lips wryly.

“I slept in the Shrieking Shack.” I began, unable to continue as Hermione burst out.

“You what?!” She looked mortified- as if I’d just told her that I was actually a Flubberworm.

“What do you mean?” she leaned in and asked quietly the second time.

“I mean, that I didn’t return to the commons last night.”

“Yes, but why?”

Here was the tricky part, I’d already calculated her reaction if I told her the truth, and I was very much inclined to not. But then, she deserved the truth, it was what had caused us to fight last year, when I hadn’t told her that I was an Animagus, and I didn’t think that either of us wanted to replay how I’d reacted last time.

“Pansy attacked me on the way back to the commons from the Feast.” I mumbled, having to repeat myself at her behest, I was so quiet. When she finally heard, she sat stock still in her chair, her eyes wide.

“And what did you do to her?” She asked- somewhere internally I laughed at that.

“Nothing...”