Chapter Eleven - Not Quite Eloquent

Artemis

The three of us stared at Rachael pretty much open-mouthed.  Just as I had been about to say something I had a possibility of regretting, she interrupted us.  She stared at me, concerned, like I needed mental help or something. 

I probably did. 

"Who in the Sam heck are you talking to, Artemis Alexander?" she demanded.  "We got rid of our imaginary friends years ago."

"I-- I wasn't talking to anyone," I lied.  "I was, uh, practicing my Nobel Prize speech.  You know how much I want that some day."  Stupid, stupid, stupid!  Of course she wouldn't believe me, especially when I come up with a lie like that. 

"Sure...," she said slowly, dragging it on. 

That was what I hated about human nature.  We couldn't trust each other.  I mean, yeah, I actually was lying, but she didn't have to know that. 

I looked at Dawn and Kyler.  Kyler looked confused, and Dawn wasn't even looking at me.  She looked down at the ground, every once in a while shooting glances at Rachael. 

"Arty, why are you so nervous?" Rachael said in a worried tone.  "I'm here for you, if you ever need me.  You know I don't leave town until tomorrow."

"I'm fine, Rache, great, actually."

"Are you sure?"

"Absolutely."

"Well," she said, her eyebrows furrowing as she was deep in thought.  "We should go inside."

I looked desperately to Kyler and Dawn for help, but Kyler had that sad little boy face on again which broke my heart, and Dawn had disappeared.  Again.  And to think, all that trouble I went through just to find her...

"Yeah, I guess we should," I said. 

Apparently, my parents were trying to start this new "Family Movie Night" thing.  One day every weekend, we would watch a movie.  I didn't know why they were doing this, but I assumed it was so they could impress Rachael.  They loved her. 

As for me, I wasn't too sure anymore.  I'd been so frustrated, I mean, they were making me choose between the girl I'd loved since forever, and the spirit-ghost girl that I felt...quite close to now.

I didn't want to love Dawn.  Nope.  She'd been messing with me since the first day this house became the Alexander residence.  She annoyed me, possessed my sisters, made me knock over food all the time -- in short, she had been such a pain in the neck

But she was Dawn.  Her quirks were kind of cute I guessed---

What are you saying, Artemis? part of me demanded.  You love Rachael Davis Parker and NOTHING can change your mind.  Not some spirit kid, not some spirit girl.  Rachael isn't your girlfriend anymore, but she still could be!  Keep an open mind!

Another part of me scoffed.  And ignore the fact that you and Dawnie are -- what did the kid call it? Kindred Souls or something?  Nuh uh, you don't mess with destiny.

That's what you're calling it?  Destiny? 

Yes, idiot.  You and Dawn are obviously meant to be, and you know she loves you; the kid even made her admit it!

I knew it was creepy, but I could just imagine a little Angel Artemis on one shoulder, and a Devil Artemis on the other.  I couldn't help but fidget.  My stupid debate with myself was driving me even more insane than Dawn ever had.