Chapter Seven - Not Quite Love

Artemis

The next day, I felt very giddy.  I'd been with Rachael again eight hours ago.  I literally jumped out of bed because I was so happy. 

I don't know how many guys get this, but I know most girls get this: the sudden exuberance, your heart pounding in your chest, thinking about every cute little thing about him or her, causing your heart to pound even more. 

Rachael hadn't looked any different.  Her hair seemed like it was more red now than auburn, and she got a little taller, but other than that, she was the same. 

Maybe I was just imagining it, but I could've sworn her voice had bells when she spoke.  Every word she said was music to my ears. 

And when she kissed me yesterday, her goodbye present, it took all the self-control I had to keep my legs from collapsing. 

The family had surprised me by inviting most of my old friends from back home. I didn't have as much as everyone else did, but these guys were actually real friends.  I'd been extremely happy too see everyone, but I remember my heart stopping when I saw Rachael. 

I promised myself that I'd remember this moment forever.  She'd been leaning against a wall, her head slightly back, her eyes casual but bright.  We had kind of just stood there, looking at each other, studying each other for a while.  Then we did that cliché movie thing where we ran into each other's arms, and hugged like there was no tomorrow. 

"I'm glad you missed me, Arty," Rachael had said. 

"I'm just glad you're here," I replied, my words slightly muffled with my face in her long, thick hair. 

We sat down and talked; she about home, and me about here.  I just left out the part with Dawn.  No matter how much Rachael and I were seriously head-over-heels for each other, no matter how much, I couldn't tell her about Dawn. 

Then we took them all to the house, and gave them some "thank you" presents.  Rachael had given me the best one of all.  Even back home, we never really kissed like that.  Maybe a peck on the cheek or for a second on the lips, but never full on kissing.  It was a nice experience, and it made me forget about everything for a moment. 

Okay, maybe it had been more than nice

As I was eating breakfast, remembering everything about Rachael, I saw little Seraphina slide up to the table, a book in hand: A Tale of Two Cities.  I'd never read it before, but I'd heard about it. 

"Hey, Sera," I said.  "Want a bagel?"  She nodded at me without looking up from her book. 

I got a blueberry bagel out of the refrigerator; Seraphina loved sweet things.  After I cut it, and put it in the toaster, I sat back down with my favorite little sister.  I opened my mouth to say something, but she beat me to it. 

 "So how is Rachael?" she asked, a hint of humor in her voice. 

I smiled at her, and she smiled back, although not directly to my face.  Then she placed her bookmark in the book, and closed it neatly.  Sera didn't believe in "shutting books like dungeon doors," she said. 

"Of course," she said, and this time she smiled at me directly.  "You're welcome, by the way."

I was still smiling, but my smile waned a tad because I was suddenly slightly confused.  "What for?" 

Sera folded her hands on the table, and laid her head on her arms.  "Because, Arty, Mom and Dad wouldn't have even thought of Rachael, and you wouldn't have been able to kiss her goodnight."