Desdemona

Dear Diary

It's been 3 months since I've seen Mommy and Daddy, I already miss them so much. The last time I saw them was on the 16th of April. The last time we've bonded was when we went to a camping trip just 4 kilometres away from our house. It was the happiest moment of my life, because my Mommy and Daddy were laughing at my silly jokes. After we've eaten smores, my Mom let me go to sleep. While I was trying to sleep, I heard my parents arguing about something but I can barely hear them because they were just whispering. It gave me a hard time sleeping because I was bothered about my parents' argument.

 Eliz.

My name is Elizabeth Rose but my parents call me Eliz. I am 8 years old and an only child. My parents are Mr. Henry Rose and Mrs. Mary Rose. My mother is a famous family planner in Paris and known as Mary Hutson. My father owns Russia’s richest mining company and is known as Henry Wilsberg. My parents don’t use their real names for the protection of our family from their rivals at work. Aren’t they clever? But because of work, they’re hardly at home. That’s why I have a nanny to attend to my daily needs. Still, I feel lonely especially because our town is quiet.  It’s a bit like a ghost town; you’ll rarely see people passing by. The only days when there are people at the streets are on special occasions like festivals, birthdays and funerals. Oh, but you’ll see kids running around on school days. Today is a Saturday so, as usual, I’m home alone and just staring at my dolls and wishing they’ll come to life to keep me company. But if my nanny sees what I’m doing, she’ll have a scared expression plastered on her face and would tell me to stop it. I kept wondering why but I just stopped playing with them. Now, they’re just displayed at the corner of my room.

The following day, we went to church since it was the Sunday- the Lord’s Day. As I entered the church, I saw my classmates with their families occupying almost the whole bench. I looked around some more. Suddenly, I could feel jealousy run through my veins. Mommy and Daddy are on business trips so, as usual, I’m accompanied by my nanny today. I felt so blue. It seems like I’ve already forgotten the last time we went to church as a family. The mass started and everyone was paying attention to the gospel except for ME. I was just staring blankly into space and kept imagining my parents were with me right now. As I came back to reality, “A family that prays together, stays together” were the priest’s words that greeted me. I felt like bursting into tears because of that but I tried to hold it back. Nanny noticed that my face turned bitter and grabbed my hand as if she were telling me “It’s alright, I’m here”.  At that moment where she held my hand, my heart felt at ease and I even managed to put on a sweet smile. I was able to finish the mass without crying; that was a relief.

After the mass, nanny invited me to go to the market and gave me authority to choose something for breakfast. I pointed on a fresh ham displayed at the meat shop. As we were walking towards the meat shop, I saw a butcher staring at me while holding a bloody knife. The butcher had this creepy look on his face and the scars on his face made him look creepier.  I gasped and took my time to blink. As I opened my eyes, I saw a whole new expression on the man’s face. He was smiling and wasn’t holding a bloody knife. I felt a shiver run down my spine and goose bumps around my back. I hurriedly ran to my nanny so we could go in the meat shop together. When we entered I felt uneasy, as if something weren’t right. I just ignored it and continued on with grocery shopping for breakfast.

I was exhausted. When we arrived home, I wanted so much to just dive in my apple green bed and sleep but nanny suddenly approached me and asked me if I could help her out in the kitchen. I was surprised she wanted help in the kitchen and besides, what can an eight-year old girl do inside the kitchen? When I was about to ask her what to I could do, she looked at me with her sweet blue eyes and had a smile on her face. I was drawn to her sweet face and followed her to the kitchen. On the table, I saw the freshly-cooked ham complete with vegetables on the side. I was wondering what else I could do then nanny pointed to the plates. I understood what she meant, so I placed two plates on the table and gave each a pair of spoon and fork and nanny placed two cups filled with hot chocolate with marshmallow. It was a nice, and I thought that it would be much nice if Mommy and Daddy are here right now.