Chapter Nine

Chapter Nine

Sitting on a low wall behind the school, Ailer and River spent their lunch talking.

"So, what do you think our next move should be?" Ailer asked.

"I don't know," River sighed, picking at her clothes. "I've looked at dozens of stuff-for the first time in my life, I'm actually researching. And I've come up with nothing. Do you know how frustrating this is for me? It's against my nature, not being able to do something or find something or get something. Usually, I'm persistent enough and focused enough. But I haven't slept in two days and I can't find anything!"

Ailer stared past her, lost in thought. Finally, he muttered "What about asking Ravnish Dungra?"

River laughed bitterly. "Ailer, he's dead. Died in a train wreck a year and a half ago."

"Maybe," Ailer whispered. "But-maybe not." He jumped off the wall, sprinting towards the parking lot. River jumped off as well, yelling after him.

"Ailer, where are you going?" She hollered.

"To find our answer!" He called, not even turning back. "Come on!"

*•*•*•*•*•*•*•*•*•*•*•*•*•*•*•*•*

The high-rise on 47th and Kagen was exactly how Ailer had left it.

As River stood in front of it, gazing open-mouthed and in awe, Ailer hurried toward the building. "C'mon!" He said, grabbing her hand and pulling her towards the building. As they entered the elevator and Ailer pulled out his key, River started talking.

"What is this? Where are we?" River asked.

"This," Ailer said, indicating the building around them. "Is Jaisivise corporate Lexonjere headquarters. And this," They emerged from the elevator. "is Headquarters."