The Brain Project - Chapter Seven

The Brain Project

Uploaded 23 October 2011

Copyright 2011 SamRider

Chapter Seven

River banged the door of her flat behind her, stepping onto the threshold. “I’m ho—” A very excited pair of parents burst into the room, in all seriousness.

                 “How was the shuttle?”

                  “How is Raine?”

                 “Have you eaten?”

                 “Did you like Universal Studies?”

                 “Have you decided what you want to do?”

                 River chose this moment to interject. “The shuttle was fine, Raine’s good, yes I’ve eaten, Uni Studies was fine, and I have a better picture but I’m not decided.”

                 Her parents looked disappointed. “River, you know we had a deal—”

                 “And I’m keeping it, really. Give me a couple of days. I’ll have an answer for you then. Promise.”

                 Her parents shared a look. “Dear—” Her mother started. River sighed and shook her head. The woman just couldn’t drop it.

                 “I’ve had a long day, Mom. I’m going to bed.”

                 “River—”

                 “Good night.” Geez.

                 River trudged up two flights of stair, banging her door open and slamming it behind her. Instead of sleeping, she plopped down in front of her computer desk and gazed at it, not really seeing it.

                 How could Razor be a bad person? She had saved humanity!

                 Hadn’t she?

                 River placed her elbows upon the desk and her head in her hands. Why had Ailer unloaded all of this on her? Why not someone else?

                 Because you were there. A little voice told her. At the Academy of Health. The only reason he was there was to find out about Razor, and he probably thought you should know the truth. He thought you were interested.

                 Well, Ailer was wrong. She hated it.

                 Hated it, hated it, hated it.

                              River rubbed her palms over her face. A headache threatened to overpower her thinking. She needed to sleep.

                 Instead, she turned her attention to the desk.

                 Tapping the search bar, she typed Doctor Razor, her fingers dancing across the surface. 1,000,000+ hits, it read. She tapped one of the articles on the screen, zooming in with both hands.

                 Doctor Zariana Razor, 86, is the creator of Relavin, a medication taken worldwide, believed to speed up neurons in the brain and spinal cord. Razor developed the medication in her late thirties, testing it for a few years before revealing its power. It is believed to have “Saved our world,” as world renowned psychologist Quera Finel tells Science Daily.