04 - Winner Takes All

Whatever had gotten into me to make that deal with Riley, I had no clue. It was a spur of the moment decision where my peace of mind was at stake. The consequences behind it, if ever I lose, didn’t cross my mind when I shook his hand to seal the deal.

When the clock ticked three, all the wrong reasons of my action rolled in. The loud cheer surrounding the field wasn’t enough to drown the fear and panic that suddenly welled up inside me.

I made a fucking deal with Shane Riley which was so far the dumbest thing I had ever done. I didn’t even consider if he would hold the end of the deal given I win this thing. He was Riley and he wasn’t famous for following rules, he broke them. What was so different with this bet? This was the main reason why I had told myself to make sure my businesses wouldn’t include him—because just his name screamed trouble.

“Oh my balls! There’s Riley!” a girl seated at our back screamed followed by the squeals and giggles from everywhere including the ones beside me, Sophie and Tanya.

Though I wasn’t one of his fan girls, my eyes darted on that corner where the jocks emerged. They were huddled in a circle, their arms on each other’s shoulders. My heart leaped when I saw that particular number on one of the jock’s back in bold writing with the name written on top of it—17 Riley. When they collapsed to face us, I was struck.

Since I wasn’t big for football, I never had the chance to see him in his uniform. Or I had, in photos. But it was different seeing him right there, carrying his helmet on his side. It seemed like he was ready to win the title. His presence alone told me that he wasn’t here just to play the game, he was here to own it.

And it was the end of me. The way my heart pounded on my chest was incomprehensible. It was so fast, yet so stable that it was frightening to think like it was normal for it to beat like this. I knew I had a fifty-fifty chance on this gamble but I betted half full when I agreed to this but half full seemed unlikely at this moment.

Riley put his helmet over his head before he scanned the bleachers. I didn’t take my eyes off him as he did, I couldn’t. Maybe it was that I was too pulled in by his presence or I just didn’t want to tear my gaze.

Whatever it may be, it led to my doom. Riley found me and caught me staring at him. He stared back and I didn’t know what he was trying to get to me. I couldn’t see his face. There was no way I could guess what emotion he had on. But when he pulled up his hands and gave me his thumbs up, I was certain that what was behind that round thing over his head was a smirk.

“I am so dead,” I muttered to myself knowing my chances on winning the bet was slowly shifting to zero.

It should have crossed my mind that he wouldn’t bet if he meant to lose. He had the upper hand and he knew it. I was too consumed by my desire to get my life back, the one where Riley wasn’t in the picture, that I fell hard for it and fast.

The players lined up and took their positions at the center of the spacious field. It was the first time I was to witness a live football game and I really didn’t know anything about it.

“They’re up for the kick!” Tanya said to Sophie and I.

The next thing I knew, the oblongated ball was flying up and all the guys were scattered about the area. Sophie and Tanya were screaming on my sides as I sat stock-still.

The game went in a blur. Preston High won and everyone was cheering on, except me. I stood on my place, the same place I was when the game was on the peek. I never shifted, I never moved. I didn’t even know how the game had gone, how it ended. But it was clear to me it ended pretty bad for me.

Dead. That was the only thing on my mind. There was no going back, and I knew I couldn’t, even if there was a way.

I stared blankly at the celebrating jocks and saw that lone guy isolated from the crew smirking at me. That was all it took for me to collapse on my seat, hands limp on my sides.