Reminiscing

Going through town was yet again exciting. The smell of sourdough fresh from the oven on the streets of Kale, the sounds of songsters on the streets of Evelyn, the sight of fresh produce varying from turnips up the north, spices from the east, cattle meat from the west, and fishes from the south. All located at the streets of Bourbon. This town has everything and it's been months since we were here. Truly, the town of Peaeli is of wonder and now I know why my son takes 6 days to head home.

This town is just magnificent and has an aura that I really like. Different from home, yet I still like it. We'd be meeting with Aden at the south end of town. He'd not hear of the news and I intend not to tell him because he worries a lot about us. Making a big fuss on us fifty year olds as if we have few days left; ironically, I do. He works for the better of us family so maybe that is his worry. He has the freedom to love and have his own family yet he still wants to be with us, saving money and all for the future. I sometimes tease him of being a loveless boy only "seeking shelter from his parents" and laugh at his sorry face yet, we still are a perfect family.

Oh, yes, he had lovers. I remember three of them: Rose, Anastasia, and Deborah. they were all beautiful girls though what rid of them was either their attitude or their antics and that their names stuck to what they are.

Rose was as beautiful and as prickly as the perennial flower. An eyecatcher, truly. she had hair dyed in velvet red. Her lips, cherry red. I say this again, she REALLY stooped to her name. As if her name is a piety and she has to make an image for it. And what made me hit her with my broom is her perforable expressions in words. too straightforward, offending, and will leave you bleeding. Left that woman with a would on her forehead. Aden's a gentleman enough to bring her back, somehow, safely.

Anastasia. She isn't that beautiful, a tad bit ugly even, a key klutz, undoubtedly but in all, she was truly beautiful in the inside. The kindest girl I've seen in all the land. She was gone not by force, not by herself, death was just her twin. Let's just say peppers got into the apple pie and what not. The ingredients are the woods, a foxed woman, wild animals, and the night. 

Lastly, Deborah. She works with my boy at the blacksmith's shop. According to their story, the've known each other for three years and have been so called acquaintances for the rest of it. She's more man than Aiden, to be exact. I liked her most than any to be exact. simple beauty of tanned skin and not so flocking hair, has a duty on her mind, and all in all, has a goal. I don't know where she's now but the last thing I heard from my boy is that she went the 7th town up north. Reason still unknown.

Such a complicated boy. And who would have thought any would date a blacksmith's helper with no educational attainment, no slavery value, and hasn't have enough looks? He has brains. I assure you, he got that from me.

"Been staring in oblivion for the past hour dear, are you fine?"

John blurted out of the blue, scaring the fur out of me. His voice was worried, I knew, even if he was, kind of, hiding it.

"Yes, yes. Just remembering what to buy before we head home."

"Are you not afraid of what you have? You haven't even asked."

"No need. What's important is that I smile, correct? It'd just be more burden for me; for us. Let's just meet up with Aden. I'd bring the news."

We continued our trail to the end of town. Until...

"Stop! You smell that dear?"

it was the smell of sour puke, fresh from the hive. The smell of organic sweetness from the buzzing of wings and butts. Then the scent of mild, sour, dough, moist, entrails.

"Goat's cheese and honey. How the three of us craves it. Shall I buy one bundle?"

"Make it three." I was craving for it. It's been years, not months, since we had this unadulterated need.

"No money yet dear. Aden has it, have you forgotten?"

"As I said. One bundle for the rest of the travel. We'll leave no marks for Aden, all for us."

"Evil hag. Love ya for that."

John then proceeded to exit the cart to buy the cheese and the honey while I advanced my nose to the scent of bread. i bake some of these with the wheat and yeast I grow at the house's back. How I miss the days when all of were still young. Aden crying over a small bruise at the knuckle, John barely knowing how to use a hunting rifle, and me, a wuss in cooking. How I wish we'd be back.