Chapter 4 Part 2 - Exposed

Chapter 4 - Part 2

Victoria slowed down as she reached the shrouded street. Out of the plentiful streetlights on the road, the place she was looking for seemed to edge away into the darkness, shirking away from the golden light.

The stores were all shuttered along the street, hiding their wares from prying eyes and greedy hands. All except one. There was one store along that street that still had it's shutter up, but the light's were off. Curious.

It was the exact store that Victoria was looking for. As she climbed out of her car, locking it, she noticed that there was glasson the pavement at the foot of the door. It had been broken into. Victoria's eyes widened. Why did everyone she needed seem to find themselves in danger. First old man Franklin, and now...her.

Acting on impulse, she sped towards the store, her heart beating as quick as a hummingbirds' in her chest. The glass pane in the door was broken, sharp knives sticking out from the edge. She tested the door, tried to open it by snaking her hand through the glass, but it was still locked. Edging through the door, twisting her way through the open space, she slowly made her way through the gap.

"Almost there", she breathed, She had got most all of her upper half through, and just as she was twisting her way through...

"GAH," she gasped, trying to contain her pain, as a rogue glass icicle scratched it's way through her waist. She twitched in pain, and hissed, as more shards of icy glass attacked her. She finally made it out of the maze of pain, felt her way around in the darkness and then leaned on a counter, hissing whilst trying to hold back her agony.

Crimson liquid pooled in cuts on her left calf, and her top was being stained scarlet by the force of her life seeping away. Victoria lifted up her top, hoping to find that what was hurting her was a minor injury. She lifted it up slowly, more and more blood could be seen, and she winced as the pain was made all the stronger when seeing more of the damage.

 She almost fainted when she saw a shard of glass embedded in her waist, just below her oddly shaped birthmark. She gripped the cold glass, anxiety coursing through her veins, the only thing allowing her to do what she was planning, was adrenaline, numbing the pain, and blinding her senses. Victoria pulled it out, muttering worthless, comforting words. A small scream of pain escaped her lips. Holding in whimpers and cries, she pulled the top back down, the agonising pain putting her in a state of pain so unbearable, that silent tears ran free.

Victoria looked up, and what she saw made her drop the bloody shard of glass in shock. There was a group of three masked people in front of her. All were lithe, lean, and lumber bodies, camouflaged in black, the only other colour on either of them were their eyes, that shone like beacons bright, from the eyelets in their masks: blue, grey and amber.

Each of these masked strangers held something equally sharp and shiny in their hands; a dagger, a short pike, a throwing star. She took a step back, and then froze as the trio growled and hissed at her. She prayed on the spot then, hoping she wasn't going to find herself resembling scraps of dog food at any times in the near future.

Victoria took another step back, as the one in the middle, took a step forward. He took a mocking bow, such an overstated bow it could be taken for nothing lesser than an insult. The reflective grey eyes bored into me, and the man - the muscles couldn’t possibly belong to a woman, could they? - opened his mouth to speak. Victoria cringed inside. No way could a person dressed for torture deliver anything more or less, either verbal or otherwise.

"Girl, you don't realise, the power you hold, that your blood holds. You should be ripping us apart with your bare hands, covering this room in our blood, cracking our bones under your feet. Instead, you COWER IN OUR PRESENCE.  To think, you are destined to be the saviour of so many, and the doom of thousands. Pathetic. You know nothing of who you are, and what you are supposed to do. Already, you have revealed yourself to the universe, by showing your Mark for all to see! You do not DESERVE to be who you are. If you were stronger, I would have enjoyed bringing you to our side, but you are nothing!" He shouted at her.