Chapter 5

Mark's POV

'If you defend her again, you'll get it.'

Those words run through my mind as I sit down at my desk to do my homework.  Those words are what Ross said to me before I walked home today.  To be honest, It didn't really scare me.  What was he going to do?  I mean he could give me a minor concussion just like today but...  It didn't really scare me.

I've never been good at defending people, let alone myself.  I guess what happened to Lily just made me mad.  I didn't even realize what I was doing, I'm happy I did it for her, though.

Lily's POV

This kind of thing hasn't really happened before, and I'm not sure how to react.  Not the bullying, that's happend for years, I just don't like to talk about it.  I've never told anyone except Peyton.

Mark standing up for me made me feel something inside, it's a feeling I haven't felt before.  A feeling of comfort, a feeling of love, and a feeling that's caring.  I think he's a really nice guy and he has guts to stand up like that, especially for someone other than himself.  But that punch had to hurt.

 As I sit down at my desk to do the rest of my homework from today, I open up my history book.  I can't study history fast, it usually takes me awhile, I guess because it's hard for me to learn, and remember, and I don't like it.

I sigh as I scan the fifteen pages that I have to read for a test tomorrow, after that I go back to the beginning of them and start to read, word after word, page after page until I get to page fourteen.  By the time I start reading that page my brain is fried and my eyelids get heavy.  I look at the clock expecting it to be late, but not as late as it actually is.  12:00.  Midnight.  I should have started earlier than 10:00, but it's hard for me to resist a good book.

I finish the last two pages with my eyelids closing for a few seconds before opening again.  I close the book with relief flooding my body.  Then, I know I have math to finish.  I have about two pages of college math to do.

Finally, I hit the last problem.  Finishing the problem I start yawning, then close my book after I write the final answer.  Looking at the clock one last time, 2:40, I climb into bed in my clothes being too lazy to change.

I hear the alarm, after it feels like five minutes since I fell asleep, to find out that it's 5:00 in the morning.  The time I'm supposed to get up and get ready for school.  I hit the snooze button with my arm stretched out, letting it fall down next to my bed, hitting the side with a 'thud'.

Before I know it it's 5:05, the time my snooze alarm goes off.  Groaning, I drag my feet out from the blankets and stand up, walking to the bathroom to get ready.  I decide to throw on some sweats and a t-shirt and put my hair in a messy bun.  Then, I brush my teeth and after that I say, "Good thing I only have one more day of this," before driving to the homeless shelter.

I hate getting up early, but it's for a good cause.  I love volunteering and helping at a homeless shelter is one of the things that brings joy.  The look that the men, women, and escpecially children give  me when they get the bowls of soup, or plates of chicken just make me smile.  I have a heart for children.  The fact that they are living with almost nothing gets me.  Every time I visit them I bring some toys.  Nothing big, just a doll or stuffed animal type thing.

I realized I forgot to put the toys in my car this morning, so I stop at the nearest grocery store and pick up a few stuffed animals then some cars for the boys.  After I checkout I head to my car, put them in the trunk and drive to the shelter.

Thirty minutes pass and I arrive at the shelter.  I walk in with the grocery bags hanging on my forearms.

"Mrs. Lily!"

"Hi, Mrs. Lily!"

"Yay, Mrs. Lily you're hear!"

The children greet me with hugs and kisses and I return them, squeezing as hard as I can without crushing them, and kissing them on the forehead.

One girl touches my heart, she's eight and her name is Shay.  She usually runs to me, hugging and hollering, but today she didn't come.  I look around and notice her at a table alone across the room.  I  stand up from the kneeling position I was in and walk over to her.

"Hi Shay!" I wrap my arms around her.  "How are you today?"

I don't get an answer, so I bend down in front of her.  Shay avoids my eye contact, but I can see tears fill her eys.

"Shay honey, what's wrong?"

That's all I had to say before she burst out in sobs and practically fell into my arms, hugging me.

In between the sobs she struggles to take a breath and speak.

"Mommy... " something came after I couldn't understand.

"Mommy what?  Mommy hurt?"  Shay shook her head.  I try again, "Mommy sad?"  Shay shook her head again.

"Mo-ommy.... gone," Shay sobs and lays her head on my shoulder.

I wrap my arms around her back, "Hon, what do you mean she's gone?"

"We-we were... walking down the street and it was snowing.  The wi-wind w-was blowing.. hard.  Mo-mmy told me to wait on t-the sidewalk.  She-she went to get food and never came back.  I w-woke up this morning and came here, " she paused.  "I don't know what to do.  I w-want mommy."  Her lip shook before she started crying and buried her head into my shoulder.  I stood up and sat on the chair she was sitting on.

 I really didn't know what to do.  I almost started crying because I can't stand children crying, it tugs at my heart strings.  But I had to be strong for her, "It's ok baby, I'm here.  I got you."  I stroked her hair and hugged her tight.  About five minutes passed before she stopped crying, lifted her head, and said "Thank you, Mrs. Lily."

"Of course, hon.  I love you." I gave her a reassuring hug, then sat her on my lap facing me.

She stared at me for a moment, like she was thinking.  "Mrs. Lily," she said.  "Could... you be my mommy?"  I smiled at her words, hiding my surprise.  I would love to take her home with me, but I couldn't, Could I?  I mean, she wouldn't be safe with my dad and all.  But, maybe I could move out.  No, I couldn't do that, my mom needs me there.  Right?  I don't know what to do or say.  I say these words without thinking, "Shay, I would love to, " her face brightens up and I hate to make her sad again, "But, I have to take care of my mommy.  She's sick, and she needs me.  Plus my daddy.... it wouldn't be good for you to come with me."

She starts tearing up again and I feel the urge to do anything to stop the tears, "But, I'll think about it, okay?"  A tear slides down her cheek and I wipe it off with my thumb.  Shay nods and hugs me one more time before I put her down and say, "Alright, now I've got something to give to some special children.  Why don't we go see the other children?"

Shay smiles as we head to the other children.

A/N

What do you guys think?

I want to tell you that God has a reason for everything that you're going through and come across, He works things out for the good.  He loves you and is always there if you want to talk.  No matter what, He wants you to talk to Him, and He loves you!  :)

If any of you have heard of Samaritan's Purse Shoeboxes or wants to here more about it, comment!  You fill a shoebox(es) up and they get sent to different countries where kids don't get Christmas presents.  You fill it up with notebooks, pencils, crayons, little toys, coloring books, a letter from you, and stuff like that!  It's awesome and you can get letters back :)

God loves you and have a great day!  and a great week!