Chapter Twenty-Five

As a departing gift, Laria had planned a small farewell celebration above ground.

So, with the newfound dead silence in the underground, I hurriedly sifted through my closest. I breathed a sigh of relief when I came upon the familiar peach fabric and hurriedly changed. Floral lace ascended from an apron neckline into a fitted bodice, that flared out into a mermaid-style bottom. The dress was quite loose on my lanky frame, but fit pretty well for a formal gown that wasn't tailored.

Pulling my hair out of the curlers Ellie had found last night, I fixed the large barrel curls until they sat in a perfect, tousled side-part. Then moving back into my room, I make the most of the makeup I had brought into the city with me and create a look that — for me — would typically be too simple for a formal event.

Finally, slipping on a pair of heels and stepping into the hallway, I make sure Holly's necklace proudly sits outside of my dress. "Look at you," I coo, whistling as Malik waits patiently for me — leaning against the door opposite to mine, a white button down tucked into his belted, black trousers.

A pink blush strikes across Malik's dark olive skin and he grins. "Says you," he retorts, placing a hand over his heart dramatically, "You're killing me."

Laughing, I close the door behind me and accept Malik's offered arm. "You look beautiful," he reiterates, leading me down the hall. I grin, playfully bumping my hip with his and pressing a kiss on his cheek. "So do you."

Assisting me outside, Malik holds my heels patiently as I fix my dress. Closing the door behind me and flashing a thumbs up, he ducks down to help me pull my heels back on — holding my forearms as I threatened to capsize.

"Look at you!" Ellie exclaims and I turn to see her approaching, her arm looped within Charles' as her tall heels sunk into the earth below. Her silky blonde hair was braided back and a navy skater dress complimented her petite physique — highlighting her ocean-blue eyes. "Stunning," I grin, "Both of you."

Charles waves me away dismissively, "Oh, stop it... but keep going." Laughing, I tighten the loose tie that hung from the blonde's neck.

Lucille then made her way through the crowds, shuffling and stumbling past the large group of people that spoke indiscernible words to one another. "I almost wore a dress," she informs, gesturing to the black sheer blouse that was tucked into formal trousers, "Almost."

Gasping dramatically, I awkwardly clapped the hand looped through Malik's arm with my other. "Amazing," I exclaim, hearing Ellie hum along playfully in agreement.

As the night progressed, the rest of our team flitted around us. Soon, Sydney approached in an extravagant, baby blue gown that complimented her dark, ebony skin. What I had almost missed, however, was the meekish redhead on her arm. "This is Lila," she beams proudly, "We met when we were fleeing California... it was fate." The two women smile at one another and I nearly faint.

"This is... beautiful," I exclaim, gesturing to the happy couple, "Why aren't we that close, huh?" Rolling his eyes, Malik pulls me close and presses dozens of kisses all over my face as I laugh — fighting uselessly to push him away.

"Look at you guys," Ellie cooes, smacking Charles' chest playfully, "Makeout with me. I feel abandoned." Charles laughed, initiating a dramatic fake makeout session that abruptly stopped when the rest of our team blinked confusedly at them — unaware of the origins of the situation as they milled over. "Hey guys," Ellie laughed awkwardly as Charles searched for a tree to shamefully strike his head against, "How are you?"

"Children," Laria beckons, "We're taking a picture. Come on."

Standing between Charles — who still hung his head in embarrassment — and Regie, Malik rested his chin on my shoulder; his arms wound around my waist as we all bunched in close. Alexis stood on the other side of her sister, whilst Rosa and Jonty stood on either side of Malik and Ellie, Lucille and Emilie sat comfortably before us. Then, Laria's henchmen and a few others also filed in before she cheered as she was lifted onto the tallest man's shoulders. "Okay," she grins, "Let's take this picture before I bloody stack it... say cheese!"