Distance

Chapter One

“Camille.”

    I moved my eyes away from the window and turned the volume on my iPhone low. “What?”

    Maria scowled, though she was able to maintain a steady eye on the road. Clenching her fists on the steering wheel, she slightly turned her head towards me but kept her stern gaze ahead of her.

    “Turn the volume down; your music is too loud. It’s starting to give me a headache.” She complained, lifting her right hand off of the steering wheel to rub the side of her temple.

    I rolled my eyes and ignored her request. Long car rides require music. The volume I had set my iPod to didn’t even hit the half-way point yet. She was just being overdramatic.

    Stupid nag. I thought, turning the volume up even louder in spite of her. I closed my eyes and mentally hummed along to John O’Callaghan’s voice, trying my best not to acknowledge the annoyance Maria was feeling.

    I slowly opened my eyes again after the song ended and leaned my head against the window. Raindrops slightly drizzled the Plexiglas, initiating the race of raindrops across the window. I could have laughed at myself in that moment, playing that silly game like how kids do. But with nothing to do in this car, I can only pity myself.

    The road to my step fathers’ house was a long one, especially coming over from the city. The ride was always an hour, sometimes longer depending on the weather conditions. Blame the selfish man for making the women make the effort to see his pathetic face.

    Though, I digress.

    With a sigh, my mind gave up on the raindrop race. My eyes drifted shut, and I felt my left hand unconsciously reach for the volume keys. I hit the up button twice, the outcome satisfying for me, but annoying for the woman next to me. Whatever.

    After a good two songs, we finally hit a speed bump. That could only mean that we were arriving towards the farms, which leads up to the conclusion that this treacherous car ride was nearing its end. I squeezed my eyes tightly, the grip on my poor phone becoming stronger.

    We hit another speed bump, forcing my eyes open. I sat up and looked outside but the small water drops blocked most of my view. Oh well, it’s not as if I haven’t been here before.

    My eyes made their way to the road in front of me, which was now accompanied by stop lights. Power lines outlined the sides of the road, followed by small shops and boutiques. Not quite the country, but more or less on the quiet, yet trendy, side of town.

    I turned my volume down a bit, but instantly regretted it when Maria opened her mouth.

    “When does your break end?” Maria asked bluntly, flipping on her turn signal to go left. “Your step father and I intend to go on vacation and you’d just be a nuisance.”

    “Summer vacation ends next week.”

    The dreaded woman eased the car up slowly and held out her hand to the man who let her turn. Once stable, she breathed a breath of relief.

    “Thank God. Bringing you would be annoying within itself. My coworkers would have asked me why you weren’t there if your break was still on.”

    I rolled my eyes. “Loving as always, aren’t you Maria?”

    She visibly clenched her teeth at the sound of me snapping back at her. “You disrespectful child! I’m your mother, not some… some… friend!”