Chapter Three: Who Do You Think I Am?

“Hello?” I said groggily the next morning.

“Cari I know yo crazy ass didn’t go to that fucking party without me!” Tre snapped into the phone.

I groaned and squinted at the clock on the dresser. It was ten in the morning and he was bothering me over this? I didn’t give a fuck about what he was talking about. I was trying to get my sleep on and this nigga was trying to interrupt it with this nonsense. I mumbled into the phone’s speaker and snuggled into the blankets wrapping them around me tightly. I grabbed the pillow and tucked it more firmly under my head. I closed my eyes and tried to ignore Tre’s yelling in my ear.

“Something could have happened to you!” he snapped and I sighed loudly. “Those niggas around Sean’s aren’t safe. They could’ve cornered you or anything!”

“Damn just let me get some sleep,” I retorted.

He cursed. “What the hell is wrong with you?” he snapped.

I yawned loudly and sighed knowing that I wouldn’t be able to go back to sleep behind this. I rolled over on the bed and started removing the layers of blankets. Memories from the night before rambled into my mind and I was remembering the feel of Quinn’s lips moving over mine as we were in that bedroom and the feel of that warm but muscular body against mine as he dominated my mouth. I sighed in pleasure over the phone and Tre was suddenly snapping about how dangerous it had been for me to wonder off alone into the night.

“Jaden wants to see you tonight and have a talk with you,” he said.

I sighed and then remembered that I had a date tonight with Quinn or as close to a date as I could think of.

“I can’t do tonight,” I said.

“Why can’t you make it?” he snapped. “The skate rink has the same drama as usual why are you so interested in going?”

I snorted loudly. I wasn’t a morning person but I wasn’t going to sit here and listen to Tre tear into me either. He wasn’t my daddy. He couldn’t lecture me and tell me what the hell to do. I’d do what the fuck I wanted to and he wouldn’t stop me. I didn’t want to hear Jaden lecture me anyway or hear him tell me to give Tre a break. I didn’t give a fuck about all that shit. That shit he did the night before was rude as fuck and he knew it.

“I’m not going to the skate rink. I have a date tonight and it’ll probably be a long night so I won’t have time.”

“Stop by after the date is over,” he said in a cold voice.

I froze at that tone of voice. I had never heard him use that voice with me. I didn’t know why but it hurt like hell. I winced and looked down at the phone. I was now fully awake. “No I’m going to take my time on this date. I’m going back home after that. I’ll see Jaden tomorrow.”

He hissed. “No you’ll come over here and explain what the hell you’re thinking when you’re doing the shit that you do!”

I sucked my teeth and looked down at the receiver. “What the fuck, nigga?” I barked into the phone. “Who the hell do you think you’re bossing around?”

He hissed again and I hung up the phone. Fuck that shit. I’d start getting ready for whenever I saw Quinn later on. I’d get Miranda to swing by and help me pick out an outfit and do my hair. Fuck that bullshit Tre was on. We were only friends and in our whole entire friendship he had never once acted out the way that he was acting out. I wasn’t going to tolerate it either. Looking at the screen of the phone I was surprised to see a number I didn’t recognize pop up. Hitting the answer button I proceeded to answer the phone.