Chapter 17

~ BLAINE ~

I sat Dylan up and spread my shirt on the seat so the blood couldn’t get on it at all. I lay him on his side, removing his shirt. I seriously didn’t know what to do. All I know is that I had to get the bullet out but I wasn’t sure how to do that.

“How do I remove the bullet?” I asked.

“Maybe you should just leave it in the meantime and stop the bleeding,” Lana suggested.

“I don’t have anything to stop it.”

“But if you remove the bullet now then there will be more blood than before.”

“Look there’s a chemist over there. If we stop there, I can go get some bandages and all that for Dylan,” Tara said.

“I don’t know.”

“Yeah that would be great,” I said. “It might help stop the bleeding a bit.”

Lana pulled up in front of the chemist and Tara ran inside. Lana switched on the light inside as it was starting to get dark. She turned in her seat.

“How is he?” she asked.

“Can I just go to sleep?” Dylan said. “I’m tired.”

“No,” I said. “If you go to sleep, you might not wake up ever again.”

Lana reached over and took Dylan’s hand into hers. He turned to look at her. “Please don’t die, Dylan. I swear I didn’t mean for any of this to happen.”

“It’s not your fault, Lana,” Dylan said.

“It is. If I had just told my dad the secret then Arachnid wouldn’t be after us right now.”

Tara suddenly came back, jumping in the car. “Quick, drive! I didn’t pay for any of this.”

Lana pulled out of the parking lot. “What do you mean you didn’t pay for it?”

Tara handed me some bandages, a pair of scissors and some patches. “There was a long line and I didn’t know how much longer Dylan had so I just didn’t bother to pay for it. I can come back another day to pay for it.”

“Great! That means the police are going to chase us,” Lana said.

“Well, wouldn’t that be a good thing?” I asked Lana as I tear opened some patches. “Arachnid could get caught.”

“I guess that’s true.”

“Here, give Dylan this.” Tara handed me some sherbets in those long straws. “The sugar should help with his blood sugar levels a bit.”

I grabbed the sherbet from her and opened it, handing it to Dylan. He took it and suck on it while I started patching him up. I cleared away the blood and then put a patch on it. Blood began to stain the patch. I then grabbed a bandage and started wrapping it around his shoulder blade.

“Tara, come here and hold the bandage so I can tape it,” I said.

Tara climbed over the seat and held the bandage while I grabbed some tape. I secured it.

“There, it’s all done,” I said.

Just then a car rammed into us, causing Tara and me to fall onto Dylan. He screamed out in pain. I sat up and looked out the back window. Arachnid was in the car behind us.

“Lana, go faster!” I screamed.

Lana step her foot down, driving in and out of traffic. A couple of cars honk their horns at Lana but she ignored them all.