Chapter 5

~ LANA ~

Surprising Tara and Blaine had listened to me and managed to keep their hands to themselves in the backseat. Tara was sitting in the middle and was resting her head against Blaine’s chest while his arm was around her shoulder. They were listening to Tara’s MP3.

I stared out the window, trying not to think about what happened at graduation today. I can’t believe how Dad can be such an asshole.

“Hey, are you okay?” I heard Dylan ask me.

I turned to face him and smiled. “I’m okay.”

“Are you sure?” He reached over and grabbed my hand that was sitting in my lap. He squeezed it.

I looked down at his hand, smiling. I never knew Dylan could be this sweet. “I’m fine, Dylan.”

“You’re still upset about your dad, aren’t you?”

“A little.” Why is everyone interested in knowing what’s going on between my dad and me?

“A little?”

“Okay, I’m going to be mad at him for the rest of my life.”

“Why are you so mad at your dad? What did he ever do to make you this mad?”

I closed my eyes for a second as the memories trigged me. I felt a tear roll down my cheek. I quickly wiped it away. “I don’t want to talk about it, Dylan.”

I saw Dylan nod his head from the corner of my eye. He then answered “Okay” softly. I let a smile cross my face. I was glad that he wasn’t pushing me into something I don’t ever want to tell anyone about. I haven’t even told Tara and she is my best friend. I just felt like it’s something I need to keep to myself.

“Hey, Lana, look behind you,” Dylan’s voice interrupted my thoughts.

I looked behind me and saw that both Blaine and Tara were asleep. I smiled at them. They looked so adorable. I grabbed my iPhone from my pocket and then held it up at them, snapping a picture.

“Show me it,” Dylan said.

I held my phone up at him. He took his eyes off the road and looked at the camera.

“Aw, that is so cute.” Dylan turned back to the road.

“I should post it to Facebook, don’t you think?”

“You will be killed if you posted it.”

I shrugged my shoulders. “I have taken plenty of pictures of them without them knowing. I just haven’t showed them it.”

“What kind of pictures?”

“Oh, I took some of them making out and there’s a few of them cuddling up together.”

“What are you going to do with them?”

“I don’t know. Sometimes I like to look at them and wish that I could have someone like Blaine. Sometimes I want to be happy like they are. Every time I see a couple together I wonder what’s so special about being with someone, and I want to know what that feeling is. But even if you found someone you want to be with, it doesn’t mean it’s going to last.”

I looked over at Dylan just as he looked at me. He smiled and I returned it. He returned his eyes back to the road.

“You will find someone, Lana,” Dylan said. “Someone will lucky to be with you.”

I smiled. “Hopefully.”

I glanced down at the picture I had taken of my friend and her boyfriend. I wish I could be someone to know what it was like to be with someone who cares about you. I don’t want to be someone who back stabs you and pulls out your heart when they’re finished with you.