Chapter 6 (Last Chapter)

"The menu today is a stewed vegetables, cooked my style, white fish with aromatic sauce, my style and steak with spinach and chopped garlic, my style ... Eh, Yuuki, Zero ... Are you listening?"

In the private rooms of the director of Cross Academy, the Chairman's unvarying voice, full of optimism chattered on. The Chairman's, a junior high student named Yuuki sat by the window overlooking the school building, ignoring the cursed subject of dinner.

"Kaname-sama ... You should be in class by now..."

He was an infinitely wise person. What kind of things would he be studying...? To Yuuki, that was a very intriguing thought. The Night Class was seeking a way for humans and vampires to live in peace, so in the academy, young vampires were educated to be moderate and sensitive. This was the ideal location. The project had begun just few years ago. For the Night Class, there were no high school or college courses as such, just studying for an indefinite time as they pursued a high quality education. Vampires lived many, many years longer than human, so they did not have to adapt to the short time available to them.

"And now, these pills are being developed to replace blood, so they will not have to bite anyone. Some students have made excellent progress, I'm anxious to see the results."

Hearing the Chairman's words, Zero gave him a sharp, irritated look.

"What a nonsense," he growled. "To that hope those hungry blood sucking monsters will ever change their ways ..."

"Zero ...! Do not say such things ... " Yuuki scolded.

Zero turned away with an annoyed gesture. He silently picked the dishes up from the table and disappeared into the kitchen. "I'll wash the dishes."

"Hey, Chairman... Do you think Zero will be all right? ... I wonder if he will refuse to enter high school ..." muttered Yuuki, looking worried. Zero was a year older than Yuuki, so he should be entering high school now. But Zero did not seem to have much intention of doing so. The reason he resisted was quite clear, both to Yuuki and Chairman Cross. Zero simply did not want to have to see the faces of the students in the Night Class. Students of the high school Day Class and Night Class lived apart, but they used the same school buildings for classes. Zero hated vampires to the point that he did not want to mingle with them even that little bit. That was the reason.

Zero's family was murdered by an evil vampire ...

Yuuki understood those feelings. Anyone could imagine that if your loved ones were murdered, you would hate the one that had taken their lives. That was quite natural. But still ... No need to hate even Kaname-sama ... Kaname-sama is good. He was the vampire who saved her life. He was always polite and gentle with her. However, no matter many times she repeated the words "There are also good vampires" Zero did not seem prepared to accept it in the least.

Well, next year, once I'm in high school ... Zero will go too, no matter what!

Yuuki closed the curtains, quietly making a gesture of war.

***********************

It was night, three days after the incident in the city. Fuuka was went to bed rather sooner than normal. She was pale, and exhausted as she lay in bed.

I feel bad ... and upset ... ugh ...

She had felt sick since the morning, so she tried not to exert herself. Normally, when night fell, she would feel better, but today she could not get rid of the feeling, even though the sun was gone. Instead, it was getting worse.

I'm not sick, but ... I'd better take the pills

. She took out the little pill box and slowly got up from bed. Kanae was in the shower. If she concentrated, she could hear the water flowing. It seemed that her friend would still be in there for a while. With great effort, she managed to start walking. Even though the bathroom was not far, her legs felt too heavy and to her it seemed that it was miles away. Her vision gradually clouded. Her sight began to fail her and the sound of the shower became farther and farther away ... to the point where it was completely lost and she no longer knew if she was standing or sitting. Her arms and legs stopped working and her heart began to beat very fast, in very disagreeable way. Just before she lost consciousness, Kanae came out of the shower.