Chapter 5

Chapter 5

Fuuka was sitting in bed, staring at the surface of the small pillbox. She did not remember how she had gotten there. It had to have been Aido. Aido had given her the box and the pills inside, too.

These pills ... Can they really help?

One of the small pellets fell into her hand. Very small, white ... they really seemed quite normal. Blood Tablets, that was the name given to the developmental medicine. It was hoped that those pills were going to slow her transformation into a vampire. Into a bloodthirsty monster. I will become ... She still could not believe it.

"What will become of me ...?" she clenching her fist around the little pill in her hand.

Aido had openly confessed everything to her, hiding nothing. He had explained everything he knew about purebloods and what happened to humans who were bitten by one. They became vampires and stopped being human forever. They would eventually come to a fate feared by all blood-drinking monsters ... falling to level E.

Apparently, the man who had attacked her the previous day in the city had been a level E.

What I saw in his mouth... those were the fangs of a vampire. Those two sharp teeth she had seen for only an instant ... if Aido and Shiki had not appeared, they would have bitten her and drank her blood. Suddenly, ironically, her perception of that situation had changed from making her think of it as "the time Aido saved me" to "when I saw the monster I will one day become." Falling to Level E ... She wondered what she would feel then. Perhaps attacking your friends... and drinking their blood. Perhaps, when you're a vampire and drink the blood of another person ... your heart human screams of horror. She did not want to become that. She wanted to live like a normal human.

"Ugh ..."

She could not escape her destiny. Aido had explained that. It seemed to Fuuka now that he was very friendly. It was better to know what was happening.

"And all of them are vampires ... since birth..."

According Aido, all the Night Class students were vampires. Moreover, Kaname was a pureblood, the elite, the top of the vampire pyramid. In second place there was the "noble" class to which many of the students belonged. Then there were common vampires, then the ex-humans... and finally, at a level so low they did not even deserve to be in the pyramid ... there was the level E. The end of the scale, those who long for death - death that the other Vampires of the pyramid were responsible to give them. The higher vampires were "those who were in charge." Fuuka was ... "that which should be taken care of." This difference was painful. From the moment of birth they were different. Their social range was totally different. Too different. According to the social scale, Fuuka was no more than something like a pet.

"If the truth is so..." It might have been better if she had not been saved. But then again, she had lived thus far and had not been unhappy, right? Would she trade back all those happy moments? Aido's words echoed in her mind and heart, and Fuuka felt herself calm.

I do not hate anybody, I ... as far as what is going to happen now ...

it created a painful sensation in her chest. As much as part of her want to scream and run, there was nothing she could do. She was desperate to live each day that remained until the end. She was still herself, she would not turn into something else. She had to be herself until the end.

"And so ... I have no choice but to take the pills."

They were the last hope left to her. That which slowed her fall, her only way. A little hope, very small ... but to which she had no choice but to cling.