THIRTY

THIRTY

I pretty much had it with all of this. It was borderline insane how Link was always there when I never wanted him there - and he somehow managed to get pasted a locked door.

"How did you get in?" I asked him, peering my eyes at him.

He slowly lifted his hand and showed me the single key dangling from a strap. "I've always had a key to my aunts place."

I snapped my head back to Palmer. "Had he?" I asked her. She replied silently with a nod.

"Okay," I drew out along with a long sigh. It was dead in the night and I was as best as one could be during the middle of the night. I knew exactly what Link wanted to do right now, and I was not going to grant any of his desires. I didn't have it in my right now.

"Come on, let's talk downstairs and leave Palmer to sleep." Link said from behind me. I knew what was going to happen next.

I slowly pivoted around, trying my hardest to hold a straight face so he knew I was serious about this. "I think you should go home." I said carefully.

At my straight forward response, Link's eyes skimmed across my face, as though trying to catch any form of a blip. I slowly clenched my fist, transferring all the rush I had building up from before in the force. I was going to remain calm  until Link removed himself from this house and this street, until I was rested in my bed, with everything locked and far away from all of this. And then, I could finally let go.

The whole idea seemed pleasing to my heart, as it tried to slowly down but it was far too soon. Link wasn't moving.

"Lets just talk first." Link tried again.

"I don't think I want to," I fired back.

"It's not going to take long," Link pressed on, somewhat anticipating a slight budge to come from me.

"I really don't think so." I said back. This was getting immature to a point where I knew if we didn't stop, a form of tug-of-war would prevail.

"Ori, hear him out." Palmer said from behind. I flicked my head over my shoulder and saw Palmer still standing there, her tired eyes trained on my face. I knew Palmer, and I knew with that look drawn all over her face that if she didn't get her way, she'd be standing there relentlessly. Which then meant that she'd get too tired and end up working herself over to a capacity she wasn't able to handle just yet.

For her sake, and to my complete resentment, I turned back around to Link and gave him a small jerk of my head, indicating for him to move along. He slowly turned around and walked down the stairs, his head turned over his shoulder to make sure that I was right behind him. My feet dragged my whole body down the hallway, up until they came to the stairs where my head had to intervene, as I directed them both down the stairs carefully. One foot up, then down, the other go up and then down.

The way down the stairs seemed to take a millennium, before my feet touched down the ground. Link walked straight to the front door and out of it, his key lingering in his hands. I was briefly unaware of what he wanted me to do, considering I wasn't wearing enough clothing to step outside and brace the small chill in the air. I fleetingly lingered by the front door, poking my head out and caught Link disappear to the back garden.

"I'm not following you there," I said to him in a low voice, knowing well enough that he couldn't hear me as he completely was out my line of vision. My ears, on the other hand, we're working perfectly and could hear everything since nothing else was moving and awake. I heard Link move around a few things, scraping it along the pathway of the garden. I knew he was messing around with the spare furniture that was pressed against the wall, out of sight from Palmer so it didn't agitate her whenever she spotted it since she had no use for it.