Chapter 14: Hell Freezing Over

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

RECAP: Anya sunk herself further into the sofa. Even her last resort was of no help. Guess she would have to do the one thing she completely sucked at doing; she would have to wait until they got everything figured out. And in the meantime she figured she needed someone to be her PR person considering all the bakwas* the record company was pulling on her.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ray Bhatt pinched the bridge of his nose. Rohan had challenged his authority with his reaching out to the media moguls, purposefully feeding them wrong information. The man that ran from relationships faster than he had run in the infamous Student of the Year competition that put him on the map was now running toward a relationship--albeit fake. 

He had to admit that this cheap publicity stunt would prove beneficial in adding depth to Rohan and Anya's connection. It would help sales and keep media interested in whichever songs and music videos they would produce as a team. For now he had to maintain damage control. Anya, from the looks of the voicemail she had left, was furious. 

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Maybe she was overreacting? But Anya felt she had every right to overreact given her situation. Her credibility could vanish on the sole basis that people speculated her and Rohan were in a relationship prior to her entering the music industry. It was a whole different story if they got together while working together. To make matters worse, she sensed the disappointment in her mother's voice. Ma would never want her with someone so uncultured and rude. 

Anya would have to explain her situation to Karan. He seemed understanding enough. Her thoughts were interrupted when Rohan called her back. 

"Hey, jaanu*." His sardonic tone did not escape her.

"Don't 'jaanu' me, you buffoon. What do you hope to accomplish by this?" 

"Relax. I was only trying to regain control at RB Records. I assured the media that there's nothing going on between us. That we're just friends." 

Anya groaned out of annoyance. "There's no way they believed that." He may as well have written her career an obituary. Who would take her seriously after this? 

"Let this be a lesson to you. Don't get in my way. I can corrupt your reputation much worse than this debacle could have." 

"YOU INSUFFERA-" Anya was cut off harshly with a click of Rohan's phone. 

Rohan reeked of smug satisfaction. He had her undivided attention, even if it was momentarily.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

*jaanu = term of endearment for lover, means "dear" 

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Anya next called up her mom and assured her that it was Mumbai, and the tabloids just made a mountain out of a molehill--that her professional relationship was taken out of context. Now she had to convince Karan of the same. 

He picked up on the first ring. "Anya, what is going on? I saw Rohan denying your relationship, but I'm not an idiot." 

"You know how the media gets, Karan. It's all untrue," she said.

"Well, that better be the case. I see the way he looks at you, and you him. If there's any chance of us working out you two can't work together." Karan said. 

"Excuse me?" Anya was more furious at Karan than at Rohan. "Who are you to tell me who I can and cannot work with?" The two of them had been on two dates. If he was this possessive now, Anya pitied the woman who would end up with him. 

"You're taking my words out of context!" Karan exclaimed.

"And you're not taking my word." Anya countered. 

A pregnant pause permeated the air. 

Anya ended it. "Goodbye, Karan." And she hung up before he could try changing her mind. 

It felt good to have control over something in her life. She wasn't about to let anyone change that for her.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Karan knew he had goofed up. He would have to act fast if he wanted to get back at Rohan. It was obvious Rohan had feelings for Anya. His mind traced back to the time that Rohan shattered his heart. 

He had walked into his own bedroom two years ago to find Rohan sprawled out on his sheets with no one other than his own girlfriend. That was when he realized he wasn't jealous of Rohan. He was jealous of his girlfriend who was with Rohan. 

Without sparing a glance back he told them to get decent and get out of his home. Karan's girlfriend in her state of disarray stuttered a loud range of irritating excuses, each one more insipid than its predecessor. 

Karan had strong feelings for Rohan--had harbored those feelings for a long time. He didn't want to put a label on himself, but it still hurt seeing the man he loved and the woman he was with together. Seeing his girlfriend with Rohan had broken something inside him. Rohan would never reciprocate his feelings. 

An opportunity for enacting revenge hadn't presented itself until Anya. He wasn't about to let Rohan win again. He mulled over this as he chugged down some rum. Right now it was better to drown his sorrows.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

AUTHOR'S NOTE: Well, a lot happened this chapter. Hope you all liked where this went! :)