Chapter Eight

I woke up bright and early the next morning...so early that no one else was awake. I stretched and yawned, and reluctantly got out of bed. I quickly got ready for the day, pulling on my robes and smoothing them out.

I had enough time to transform for a while, considering it was three in the morning. I leapt into my wolf form and launched myself out the window.

I rested on the tower, sniffing the air. Hmm...Hagrid seems awake. Maybe I should pay him a visit! I thought. I leapt down from the tower, leaping from windowsill to ledge, and finally hitting the ground neatly.

I padded off towards Hagrid's hut. When I reached the door, smoke was rising from the chimney in furls of grey. I scratched on the door.

"Jus' a minute!" I heard Hagrid shout. I closed my yellow eyes for a moment, then opened them just as the door was opening. "What the..a wolf?" Hagrid appeared, black eyes glinting. I transformed, blue light shining softly.

"Oh, Athena! Neat trick yeh have there!" Hagrid grinned under his bushy beard. "Hey...since I'm needin' stuff to show me classes, maybe yeh can be apart of 'em. Betcha none of me students 'ave seen a big wolf like yerself before!"

"Sure, Hagrid." I smiled. "When do we start?" "Well, today I gots a special surprise. Hippogriffs!" He said excitedly. "Brilliant! So next class?" "Sure!"

***

After my morning visit, I returned to the tower to find everyone in the common room. I transformed in my room and walked down the marble staircase. "There you are!" Hermione greeted me. "I woke up and your bed was empty. I couldn't find you anywhere."

"Oh..sorry." I said apologetically. "We're all going to breakfast soon, everyone just woke up." "Wonderful. I'm starving." "Me too." Ron walked up with Harry. "You're always hungry." Hermione pointed out.

"Yeah, like a wolf. Wolves are always hungry." Harry grinned. My eyes flickered angrily at this, but I didn't say anything. "We should get to the Great Hall." Hermione pulled me toward the portrait hole.

Once we got to the Great Hall, the very first thing we saw was Malfoy, doing an over dramatic swoon at the Slytherin table. "Oh, Harry, the dementors are coming!" A pug faced girl shouted.

"Just ignore them, Harry..." Hermione said softly. They sat down at the Gryffindor table without a word. "What's wrong with you?" Asked George Weasley. "Him." Ron pointed to Malfoy.

Fred shook his head. "Little git. Should've seen him on the train. Nearly wet himself." I hid a smile.

***

A long time of dragging our feet up flights of stairs later, we arrived at the Divination classroom. Inside it looked like a tea shop. Little tables surrounded by cushy armchairs were everywhere. Crimson light filled the room.

I started to shake, luckily unnoticeably. I hate this room already. The class gathered around. "Welcome...my children..." A misty voice sang. "It is so pleasing to meet you in the physical world..." A thin woman with glasses that made her eyes look huge emerged from the shadows.

"Sit." Professor Trelawney said. The class sunk into armchairs awkwardly. Harry, Hermione, me, and Ron sat at the same table. "My name is Professor Trelawney...and I would like to welcome you to Divination." The woman said softly.

I found this woman annoying, especially when she walked right up to me and gazed into my eyes. "Hmm..." The Professor whispered. "You are something else." I resisted the urge to snarl.

Tea cups were set at each table. The students were instructed to drink the tea and swirl the dregs, then swap with their partners.

"Broaden your minds! Allow yourself to see the future!" Trelawney cried out. Hermione passed me her cup. I glanced at her Divination book and muttered under my breath, before saying. "You seem to have this...book thing..which means you have a intelligent mind.."

Hermione smiled. "That's brilliant. You seem to have some sort of eye. I'm not sure what that means. It doesn't say in the book." Trelawney swept over. "Your cup?"

She took my cup along with Harry's, because Ron couldn't figure out what Harry's cup was, a hippo or a sheep. She dropped both. "Grims!" She shrieked. "The giant dog! An omen of death!"

My eyes widened. A giant dog? Like a wolf? I thought. Why does Harry have it? I mean, I have it most likely because I am half wolf... I sighed.

Harry was white faced. Everyone was staring at us. "I think we shall leave the lesson here for now..." Trelawney said quietly.

They all filed out of the room without talking. Next class was Transfiguration. I hope I like this class. We arrived and took our seats just in time.

Professor McGonagall taught the class. She was talking about Animagi, which were wizards who can transform into animals at will. She demonstrated by transforming into a tabby cat. I couldn't help but notice there was no flashes of light involved, like her own transformations.

I was spaced out the rest of the class. When it ended, I stayed behind. "Professor?" I asked quietly. "Yes, Wolve?" "I noticed that when you transformed it was more of a smooth kind of thing, with no...light involved." I said softly. McGonagall looked at her. "Is that bothering you?"

"Kind of..." I trailed off. "You're going to miss lunch if you stay here much longer." McGonagall said suddenly. I nodded. "Yes ma'am." She whispered, and rushed off.

"You haven't seen a big black dog anywhere, right Harry?" Ron was saying when I got to the table. "Um...I saw one the night I left the Dursleys. And didn't you see one when we went to Kings Cross? By the car?" Harry asked.

"Come to think of it, I did." Ron muttered. "Probably strays." Hermione scoffed. "But..if Harry saw a Grim..I mean...that's bad. Real bad. My uncle saw one once and died a day after." Ron protested.

"Coincidence." Hermione looked at Ron stubbornly. "Grims scare the living daylights out of pretty much everyone!" He argued. "There you have it. People see Grims and die if fright. Harry isn't dead because he isn't stupid enough to see one and think, I should kick the bucket now!" Hermione replied.

The rest of lunch was pretty awkward.

***********************************

Like and comment please!!!

-Leap

***********************************