Chapter 07

Tashee and Naylee refused to let me go when we woke up and fed me instead, giggling and teasing me by feeding me mouth to mouth. Even Wendy picked up on it and held out a piece of dried meat in her mouth for me to take amongst stifled laughter next to me.

We looked at our options to gather anything easily burnable and get it in the bunker without getting caught. We had to make do with bark and bushes full of leaves and any sap we could harvest from the trees. Anything else was probably too wet.

'Think we should start now?' I asked, looking at the sun.

'Yes, have some time before dark. We collect near bunker, then take inside when thing is gone.' Tashee said.

I agreed and we went to work, gathering bark and cutting thin branches with lots of small leaves as silently as possible. Wendy stood guard again but if the thing came out of the bunker we wouldn't have much time to get into the tree, or we'd have to sneak inside and barricade ourselves into one of the rooms.

We stopped well before dark and climbed back up, eating and waiting for the thing to go hunting again. I leaned back against the tree with a view at the bunker beneath and the girls sat back into my arms. We were too tense about the coming night to fool around, but not to enjoy each others company.

When Wendy pricked up her ears we knew it was time. Nervous about the thing finding out what was going on we kept our eyes on the entrance and soon after it did the usual sprint into the bushes and move to what probably was its favourite hunting ground.

We waited until Wendy couldn't spot it anymore and scrambled down the tree, dragging the branches and pieces of bark inside to the room close to the nest. When we had the first pile inside we started cutting more and piling it up outside until it was enough for Naylee to take inside. Working in the dark with just a few torches slowed things down and by the time Wendy warned us we only had about a quarter of the room filled.

When we were safe up the tree we just collapsed into each other from exhaustion and fell asleep just as the thing arrived.

***

We kept up the routine for a few days until we were satisfied with the amount of fuel for the fire stashed into the room. I was concerned the thing might find out something was going on but it seemed it didn't.

When the time came to lure that monster and trap it in the room we were very nervous. I had a hard time convincing the girls that I'd lure it in on my own. I would be more free to move if they were safe and not close to me and they had to reluctantly agree.

'Stay safe..' Naylee whispered, her voice slightly trembling with worry and kissed me as if I'd never come back.

Tashee didn't say anything but held me tight, raining kisses on me. Even Wendy demanded to be hugged for a while.

My heart went into overdrive when I went down the tree with the grenade. I closed the side entrance behind me, preventing the chance it might decide to come in through there and moved into the observation room, now smelling like the jungle from all the greenery we put in there. I made sure the path from the door near the nest to the other door was free of obstacles that could get in my way. If it hindered the monster I had no problems with it.

My plan was to use myself as bait to lure it into the room, close the second door behind me when it chased me, then run through the hallway to toss in the grenade and close the first door before getting the hell out. I never liked waiting and learned to control my impatience during missions, but this time it was torture. The future here was at stake and if it was just mine I would care less, but the future of two gorgeous, loving creatures was at stake too. My nervous heartbeat was joined by the warmth of my love for them and it relaxed me a little.