Thirty-seven

Song of the chapter: Illuminate - Yellowcard

Emilia's POV

I have only seen two sides of Ashton in the time we've been together: the enthusiastic and generous side that I initially bumped into, and the sensitive, broken side that sought escape from his past. Today, I have seen a new side.

When I looked at him after the ceremony, I saw a side of him that showed his true colors to me; a side that couldn't contain the amount of joy flowing through his veins. I thought I have seen Ashton at his happiest, but this was such a dramatic difference. I feel like I'm meeting a new and improved Ashton for the first time today. I don't know who he is or what's in store for us, but I'm eager to find out, because if I love the old Ashton as much as I do now I can only believe I'll love him twice as more.

As we wait for Ashton to return, we inevitably find ourselves conversing in the reception hall about the events that occurred just moments ago.

"I honestly thought it was going to be harder for Ashton to get through the wedding," Calum says, rolling up the sleeves of his shirt to his elbows.

Michael toys with the flameless candles circling the thin vase on the middle of the table. "He had Reina with him, so maybe that helped."

"I agree with Michael," Julia says. "You saw how cute she is. That little girl could probably help me get through a morning shift at IHOP, so I wouldn't doubt that she could work a miracle on him."

"You know there's this little thing called perseverance that may have contributed," I say, but I feel as though my comment is lost within their chatter.

"I can't leave you guys alone for five minutes without you all talking behind my back," Ashton's familiar voice says from behind me. He sits in the empty chair next to me and hooks his foot around the leg of my chair, pulling me closer to him.

"You can't blame us," Calum says, shrugging. "You make for good conversation. Now we're going to have to go back to complaining about our college lives and boring discussions about the cons of adulthood. Do you know how insanely boring that is? I may have to stir up some unnecessary drama just to liven things up."

Ashton rolls his eyes, amusement spreading across his face. "As long as it doesn't involve me, knock yourself out."

"Don't encourage him," Julia scolds.

"No, do encourage him," Michael says. "It'll be entertaining."

Ashton holds his hands up in defense, unable to control his laughter. He turns to look at me, grinning all the while. "Hi."

"Hey," I say casually. "Are you okay?"

The apples of his cheeks rise higher as his smile widens. "I'm much better."

The DJ tucked into the back corner of the room introduces Mr. and Mrs. Hensley when they enter the ballroom. There's an eruption of cheers and then a series of bright flashes as everyone attempts to capture the moment on camera. The newlyweds wave and grin at their rowdy and animated guests as they walk hand-in-hand to the reserved tables lined at the front of the room for the wedding party.

Once everyone is seated, the main course is served. Throughout dinner, I constantly find myself randomly smiling and looking at Ashton. I'm beginning to feel like I'm turning into him whenever he watches me. Whenever he catches my gaze, I look away but he acknowledges my staring by nudging my knee with his and wearing his signature smirk. He never fails to embarrass me.

Ashton wipes his mouth with the cloth napkin and the tosses it haphazardly onto the table. He backs his chair out and stands, extending his hand out for me. "Come with me."