The Wedding Proposal

Made by: @cuddleupwithabook

Emily's smile was more dazzling than the dress she wore as she danced in the arms of her Prince Charming... while I was stuck in a chair with my Prince Charming working in bloody Denmark on account of his bloody new job. My chin rested in my hand, a slightly grumpy frown mixed with a happy smile etched on my face. Every couple was dancing in their lovers arms, staring at each other with adoring eyes...except me. Of course I was so proud of Emily and so ecstatic for her and Scott, but when you come alone to a wedding...it kinda fucking sucks. My phone vibrated in my pants and I glumly reached into my pocket, knowing exactly who it was. "Chris, this is getting ridiculous. You missed the shower, you missed her final fitting...you know it's hard being flirted on single bridesmaids when they clearly can't tell I'm gay and now-" "Hugh, I can't hear you, can you step outside?" I swore under my breath. "Bloody Denmark-" "Hugh?" "Alright, alright! Stop getting your knickers in a twist!" I stood and glanced around for the nearest door. "Hello?" I rolled my eyes as I stalked through empty chairs and around tables with half eaten dinners crowding the tabletop. I finally managed to get to the door and opened it. A soft breeze blew in my face and I stepped out a little ways away before turning to face the dining hall. "Chris, can you hear me now? Is it better for you, darling?" "Ouch. That sarcasm kinda hurts." Chris's voice spilt into two, one coming from my phone, the other from behind me. I spun on my heel and took in the sight of Chris, in a tailored blue suit with a blood red tie, holding a single white rose in one hand, the other pressing his phone against the side of his face. I brought my phone down and stuffed it back in my pocket, trying to look annoyed while not giving away the fact my heart was beating out of my chest. "Chris, you bloody bastard, what a cheap prank." I shook my head. "Have I taught you nothing?" Chris stepped forward, a small smile on his face. "You might have not taught me how to pull pranks," he said with a small chuckle. "But you taught me so much more Hugh...things I wouldn't have ever known if hadn't spent these past two years with you..." He began to bend down on one knee but I immeadiately stopped him. I walked over and slapped him on his glorious head. "You blathering idiot! You can't do this a-at a wedding, least of all a Royal Wedding! For god sakes, the Queen is in there! Doing...this..." I made a hand motion in front of his face, my own scrunched up in distaste. "....is highly improper!" Chris rolled his eyes, clearly annoyed at my outburst. "Hugh, you've never been proper English, why start now?" I clenched my teeth. "Don't you dare ruining that special girl's special day!" "Hugh, you're the one ruining it all!" I turned around and saw Emily walking quickly to us, her beautiful dress crumpled in her arms, Scott not too far behind. I looked from Chris to Emily and back to Chris. "I feel like I'm missing something..." Emily shook her head, causing her tiara to sit askew in her hair. "Chris and I have been planning this since you last saw him." Scott moved in behind her and straightened her tiara, earning a winning smile from her. I calculated some math on my fingers and looked at her then at Chris bewildered. "You've been planning this Scott proposed?" I did some more math in my fingers, becoming even more bewildered. "Since last November? Seven months?" It was true, the last time I had seen my boyfriend in person was that fateful day at the airport. Of course, Chris would appear before me in digital form, but FaceTime and Skype could only do so much. I had slept alone for too many nights and many times I felt the urge to fly to him and just spend one night in his warm arms. But then I would remember his late night meetings and endless cocktail parties and realize no matter if I stayed or went, I'd always end up in a cold, half-empty bed. To be perfectly honest, I had been planning on breaking up with Chris in a few weeks, waiting until the dust stirred up by Emily and Scott settled. I turned to Chris, my face stained slightly by those traitor tears. "Is that true? You planned this for seven months?" Anger was laced like venom in my words. Of course I was anger! For seven months he planned this thing with Emily and not once planned for us to meet, maybe only for an afternoon or even just a couple hours, to spend that precious time with each other. Chris stepped forward, his mouth in a tight line. "Hugh, I know what you're thinking and if be thinking the same thing too..." He gulped and scrunched his eyes, an adorable habit of nervousness. No not adorable! You're mad at him! Focus! "Hugh, I wanted to hold you so badly and kiss you like you are what keeps me alive...you are what keeps me alive." He fiddled with the rose in his hand. "But I knew if I'd seen you, not over video chat or in pictures that you send me, but like we are, right now, I'd never be able to ask you what I want to ask you so badly." He stepped so he was face to face with me, his finger intertwining with mine. "I'd never be able to ask you because you'd interrupt me with your clever, snarky comments, your irresistible laugh, your sage advice." I bit my lip, fighting back the tears. "I'd never be able to ask you because I would be so in awe of you, encompassed by you and solely you. I'd never have the chance because the only thing I can think about when I around you is...you." He squeezed my hand and I closed my eyes, taking in a long breath. "So, after months of planning to make this perfect, you and your beautiful self have ruined it." I let or a small, nervous laugh, opening my eyesight Chris touched his nose with mine and stared into his gorgeous eyes filled with love and desire. "But it wouldn't have been perfect unless you did." Chris back away one stepped and slid gracefully down onto one knee, our right hands clasped together. He lifted the white rose slightly in the air. "So, Hugh, will you marry me?" I wiped a tear off my face and nodded. "Of course I'll marry you, you bloody fool." Chris's face lit up into a glorious smile and he stood quickly, wrapping his arms around my neck. We pressed our faces together and relished in the electric kiss, the first kiss we'd had since I had said goodbye to him at the airport. I heard Emily cheering behind us and Scott giving a catcall whistle, but I didn't care. I finally had my Prince in my arms and I planned on never letting him go.