Chapter 4: Silent Partings

Chapter 4:

Silent Partings

            “No, no, no that’s wrong,” Serenity called to A.J as she stood in the middle of the Alaric’s backyard, hands positioned in front of her as her irritated gaze went to Serenity.

            “What now?!” She demanded in irritation. The mother and daughter duo were in the middle of one of their, what become daily, practices in the Alaric’s backyard. Serenity had been, since the night of picnic in the Smith’s back yard about two weeks ago, attempting to teach A.J how to use her powers properly and other techniques. Right now she was attempting to show the younger Lunae how to summon a bow and arrows to her hands, something that comes in handy instead of carrying around a bow and quiver all the time. Though it was a simple technique and A.J had succeeded in learning to perform the more difficult tasks the elder Lunae had thrown her way, this was proving to be a hand full. “I’m doin’ exactly what you’re tellin’ me ta do!”

            “No you’re not!” Serenity shot back with the same exact irritated gaze as the younger Lunae. “I told you to picture a simple bow in your hand so it’s easier to form. You keep thinking of hunting bows with all the fancy attachments and it’s taking too much time. Keep it simple.”

            “You’re so damn picky! Why’s it matter what kinda bow as long as I summon it right?!”

            “Because in the heat of battle you have to be quick! You’re taking five minutes to summon because you’re picturing a complicated bow when you need to think of something simple so it appears quicker!”

            “And just how am I s’pposed ta aim at targets far away without a scope?” A.J shot back in anger.

            “You have the power of goddess of the hunt running through you, you shouldn’t’ need a damn scope!” Serenity barked back in turn with just as much anger. The argument continued on between the two hazel eyed women, each refusing to back down from the other as the sounds of their heated debates reached the window of the Alpha’s office where he sat behind his desk, the black envelope clasped delicately in his hand as he stared at in melancholy.

The sounds of the mother and daughter arguing made him think of his son and caused him to wonder if he and Darren sounded the same when they argued. His heart clenched at the thought of all the arguments he and the younger Alaric had. Regret ate at him for his foolish actions towards his children and now he feared with the arrival of the black letter in his hands it was too late for him to make amends. There were so many things he wanted to tell each of them, though he knew he couldn’t or they would find out about what he was going to do and get in the way. Instead he had scrawled them onto multiple pages that resided within a drawer of his desk, waiting within a sealed envelope that was to only be opened after everything was said and done.

A knock came from the other side of the alpha’s closed door breaking him out of his thoughts and bringing him back to his office. Charles sloppily hid the black envelope under some scattered papers on his desk and called for the mystery visitor to enter. Right away a pair of green eyes that resembled those of his departed mate locked with his while their owner stood in the doorway for a moment, unsure of what to say to the alpha behind the desk.

Darren and his father had been avoiding one another since their argument on the night of the graduation party. Darren refused to talk to his father, knowing the elder wolf wouldn’t hear him out or change his mind about not naming his son as alpha, and Charles avoided talking to his son because he didn’t wish to argue with him while he still had time.

            “Hey,” Darren greeted before kicking away from the door frame and entering the office. His sensitive ears quickly picked up on the sounds of the two Lunaes arguing in the back yard and chuckled. “Do we sound like that when we go at it?”