Prologue

Prologue

            She ran through the trees, gracefully leaping over fallen trees and upturned roots, as her pursuers chased after her relentlessly. The sounds of their vicious snarls assaulted her ears as she ran, determined to get away from them. Shadows of claws reached for her, barely missing her by mere inches as they tried desperately to grab hold of her.

            “Horus!” she called out to the trees. A hawk dive bombed from the tree tops scratches the faces of his master’s pursers as she increased her speed and spread the power out from her core wrapping it around herself and her sacred beast making them invisible to all who would look for her. Horus removed himself from the villains quickly and flew after his master as she jumped into the trees and bound from one bow to the other in an attempt to put more distance between herself and the fiends, now far, behind her.

            In a matter of moments she broke through the tree line and looked at the stretch of road before her. Horus landed on her unseen shoulder as her eyes drifted to a road sign on the opposite side of the solid river of black as the moonlight highlighted the words “Wolf’s Creek seventy-five miles”. She adjusted the straps of her backpack and looked quickly behind her scanning the tree line for glowing red eyes and glistening white fangs.

            “Mistress they’ve fallen back,” Horus reassured his distressed master as she frantically scanned the dark woods behind her. “They are permitted to go no further by their masters.”

            She nodded in response to the hawk and turned her eyes again to the road sign across from her, determination shinning bright in her icy blue eyes as she moved the, still invisible, silver hair out of her face.

            “I’m coming Artemis..."