Chapter 9: Hope is Loud, Hope is Heard.

"When the world pushes you to your knees, you're in the perfect position to pray"  - Ali Ibn Abi Taleb.

"You may call me a ridiculous idealist, but it is my ridiculousness that can spark a flame and give warmth in the depths of despair. A small light in a dark room is better than blind vision my friend. Be an idealist dear, be completely and utterly ridiculous, be an idealist." 

Chapter 9: Hope is Loud, Hope is Heard

It had been almost three weeks since Rasheed last heard from his family. He wanted to rip his hair out from the frustration and anxiety that he felt. But instead he went to the prayer mat. Only praying would give him the peace of mind that he longed for.

"Let this be over as quickly as it started." Rasheed begged with his forehead on the ground in the position commonly known as sujood. "Let me be able to save my country while there is still something left to fight for."

The pictures of his ruined land flashed in his head. It was a beautiful land, the architecture had so much history, so much character in them, now they were nothing more than dust and rubble on the hard ground. The nature, the trees that stood so tall and proud, the grass that used to sway in the soft summer breeze, the strawberry yards that used to fill the air with their sweet scent, were now nothing more than burnt, black ashes that filled the sky with grey grief.

The people. How many people had he lost? How many more lives would he have to force himself to let go of? How many tears was he going to shed? How much longer till he completely broke down? How much longer could Rasheed stay so strong? How many of his smiling friends would end up with the same lifeless stare in their eyes as the lay on the cold hard floor? How many more funerals would have to be held before they realized how much damage was being done?

"How much more?" Rasheed howled, shaking from the tears that spilled freely onto his prayer mat. "My family, please don't take my family away from me. They are all I have left. They are everything God, everything."

Rasheed got up from his prayer mat and stared at the family portrait he had hung in his room. The picture was taken two years ago. Who would have guessed that everything would change so drastically in two years?

"Rasheed, are you alright? You seemed really... Distracted?" Hanaan asked, concerned, after their weekly group study session.

"I'm fine." Rasheed said promptly, "Are you guys going for lunch?"

"Yeah, Bethany and the rest are just upstairs, are you coming?"

"Yes." Rasheed said, just as his cellphone began ringing. "Hold on."

He picked up his cell and his heart leapt with joy as he heard the voice on the other end.

"Rasheedo!" The young girl's voice sounded.

"My dear Dialla, how are you? How's mama and baba and Amin and Sana'a and-"

"Sana'a can move now!" Dialla exclaimed excitedly, "And I'm stronger now, I can carry her!"

"MashAllah that's great," Rasheed grinned, he wanted to see his sisters grow up. His youngest sister Sana'a had started crawling and he hadn't even been there to see her. Would he miss her first steps as well?

"And Amin said-"

"Rasheed my baby how are you?" His mom Habeebah took the phone from his sister.

"Mama, I'm great, how are you?"

"We're all good Alhamdulillah," Habeebah said. "How's university?"

"It's great, I think I'm starting to get accustomed to this place."

"Rasheedo mama gave me her blanket last night, Amin and I shared two-"

"Dialla that's enough!" Habeebah hushed softly.

"Mom what's she talking about?"

"Nothing love, don't worry yourself." Habeebah assured.

"Is it getting cold Mama?"

"Nothing we can't handle,"

"Are they not giving out enough blankets mama? What about those portable heaters?" Rasheed questioned.

"There's not enough for everyone Rasheed." Habeebah confessed.

"Mama-"

"Rasheed, we are fine don't you worry!"

"But mama!"

"I'm sorry baby, the signal is getting scattered. We'll call later InshAllah. Love you!"

"Love you too." By the time Rasheed said it, the line was already cut.

He pocketed his phone and angrily slammed his fist into the wall. Immediately he felt the pain burning through his knuckles.

"Rasheed!" Hanaan exclaimed horrified.

"Go away Hanaan." He demanded punching the wall again.

"Rasheed please stop!"

"Damn it Hanaan I said leave!" He scowled.

"Just tell me what's wrong!" She insisted.

"What's wrong?" Rasheed questioned in a dangerous tone, "Because you would understand yes? You with your perfect life, with your cheery confidence and flawless record? With your brother here to protect you and your perfect family?"

"You don't know anything about my family." Hanaan stated coldly. Rasheed was taken aback by her tone, almost prompting him to apologize when Hanaan continued. "And you're right, there's no way in hell that I could understand what you're going through but I can help."

Rasheed remained silent.

"I can help if you let me,"