Chapter 4: The Sorting

Hogwarts looked as it could at least hold two million fat people - and probably a lot more - which was saying a lot. From the outside the castle looked like a large, untouched, marble stone, not chipped or dull, but sparkling as the moon glinted off of it, although it was over one thousand years old, or so I was told, it seemed younger, hundreds and hundreds of years younger.

As the boats rowed nearer to shore a small dock appeared in the edge. My heart rate sped up as the shore became more visible. The dark ground mocked me, "Ha! You'll never get here!" It sang. I started to bounce up slightly, making the boat rock. 

"Hey!" The blond boy yelled. 

I turned around and stopped bouncing, "What?" I asked.

"Stop it!" He screeched.

I turned back around seeing we had only inched closer. "Come on," I whispered.

"I thought you didn't want to go," Ginny muttered.

I turned to her and grinned, she smirked back and when I looked back into the night we were arriving at the docks.

"Yes!" I mumbled excitedly. 

"Alright, everyone watch your step as you get off," Hagrid warned, stepping out of his own boat.

We all stumbled on to shore, me just happening to catch the edge of the boat with my foot and falling flat on my face. "See," Hagrid bellowed. I blushed as he came over and picked me up with ease, he dropped me and I landed, unstable, on my feet. After that incident, and everyone was safely out of the boats, we followed Hagrid up a slightly steep mountain side. When we finally reached the top of the hill two humongous doors stood in our way. 

Our jaws drooped in amazement, the castle was at least twice the size up close and nothing like I had expected. 

The doors swung open to reveal a long, dimly-lit corridor. There were torches bolted to the wall giving off a soft, comforting glow, considering the gray, depressing, concrete hall before us.

An old, wrinkly, dirty man stood in the way with a strange, orange, black, marbled cat, with a green eye and electric blue eye at his side. 

"I'll take them from here Hagrid," The man cackled.

We all nearly shook with fear at this cruel man's grin. 

"Alright, Filch," Hagrid said hesitantly.

 Hagrid turned on his heels and walked down the mountain and out of sight. I watched his back disappear into the darkness then gulped as I faced the old man. "Follow me," Filch said blankly. He turned down the hall and started for the end, we all took our first steps in and gasped as the doors swung closed with a loud thud echoing through the hall. We hurried, by jogging, to catch up to Filch and the cat. Walking up steps, around corners, and down corridors we finally reached the largest staircase we had seen. It was still the concrete gray we had seen throughout the rest of the castle, but, different, more.... what's the word? Don't know if it makes sense, but, suspenseful. Like as soon as you walk up the steps you're waiting for something.... something good. 

We slowly took walked up the stairs, step by step, till we reached the top. Another old person stood to meet us, but this time a woman, and looking far more stern than Filch had looked. "My name is Professor McGonagall," She said with a tone of major authority. I shrank back some, Oh no, the same McGonagall the twins had told me about! "You will wait here to be sorted, I will come back when we are ready for you," She said giving us a lite hearted grin. But that was soon gone as she turned swiftly. Another pair of large double doors squeaked open for her and she walked through, her emerald green cloak flowing behind her. I stared blankly into space as the squeaked shut.