Chapter: 1.12: Bad News Dearie

YEAH ! I updated. This story is about to SOAR off. I'm immensely excited. Tell me what you think of this chapter :)

Bowing her head, Katarina paid her respects to her beloved Margaret. If anyone could ever be a mother figure for her, it was Margaret and now she was gone. It was as if Kat’s life was slowly turning into shambles, piece by piece. The loss of Margaret, being kidnapped, tortured, replaced by someone who was something of a twin, and more importantly, lied to all of her life.

As the pastor said a few gracious words, a group of men lifted Margaret into a wooden box and closed it shut, getting ready to plummet her into the ground. Stifling back sobs, Kat put a hand to her chest in dismay. This couldn’t be happening, her death couldn’t be real. It didn’t feel real not one bit.

“...May the Gods be with her.” The pastor nodded his head and bowed his head in a solemn silence.

Never wavering her gaze, Kat watched as the men descended Margaret’s box into the hole in the ground and then as they shoveled dirt on top of her.

“Kat--”

Kat screamed and turned around to find William. “Do you ever just leave me be? Goodness, I just lost Margaret for the God’s sakes!” She didn’t want anyone to see her this vulnerable, this sad, and this torn apart. William needed to work on his timing.

He took a deep breath and ran his hands through his soft hair that was gleaming against the sunset. “Kat, it’s like I don’t know who you are anymore. I get it, Margaret has passed, but we’ve all lost people, okay? Remember the story I showed you? I lost my mother and I’m still standing. Get it together already.” He put his hands on Kat’s shoulders and shook her, causing her head to loll back and forth.

With a hard yank, she pulled herself out from his grasp. “Get it together already? Just because you’ve probably had years to get over the idea of losing your mother doesn’t mean that I have had years to get over the idea of losing Margaret.” She poked him in the chest. “It is not the same thing.” She poked him again. “So don’t you dare make it out to be.”

William slapped her hand away and grabbed her by the arm, yanking her to him. “Well, fuck, Katarina, if you want to hit me, do it. But for the love of the Gods, don’t talk to me this way,” he growled, eyes hard.

Taken aback, Kat blinked. “H-hit you? Why would I do that?”

“Ugh,” Will groaned, pushing Kat away. “Did you hit your head somewhere? Have you lost a bit of your memory? Or are you really this dense?”

Kat cocked her head to the side. Clast put her hands on this man? Maybe this was why he was so in love with her. They were perfect for each other. “I just need time, William.”

“Time? Time for what? We announce our marriage tomorrow morning.” Will turned around to laugh. “Have you not grasped that time is running out? If you want to be a runaway bride, go now while you can.”

His face was twisted into an evil frown, but in his eyes was a deep and great pain. He was madly in love with Clast and Kat was fooling herself into thinking she had even the slightest bit inside of her to captivate this man the way Clast did.

“I’m not running anywhere, Will,” she whispered.

Sighing, Will grabbed her hands in his. “I know that I don’t know you all that well, Katarina, but for the love of the Gods I know I can love you with everything inside of me. I can be what you need if you’d just let me.”

Kat closed her eyes, taking a deep breath. She wasn’t the woman he could love for eternity, this wasn’t right to string him along this way. He wasn’t the man she wanted and he needed to know. Gods, he needed to know but she couldn’t bring herself to tell it.