Chapter Fourteen

"Vera?" I heard someone ask. I didn't tear my gaze away from the enemy— from Count Dracula. He was still standing too close for comfort, and all that I could hear running through my head was, 'protect, protect, protect, protect...'

"Vera," the person repeated a little louder, and I finally broke from my trance just long enough to glance up and see Frank. Apparently that's all I needed.

I finally withdrew my fangs, and folded my wings (whilst ignoring the oncoming headache) and smiled almost guiltily at my old acquaintance.

"Hey, Frank," I said. A big balloon full of nervous air seemed to deflate within the large monster, and he smiled back.

"Long time no see," he replied casually. "What has it been? Twelve, thirteen decades?"

"Fourteen," I corrected.

"Wow, time does fly."

By this time Dracula seemed to break out of his stupor, and was not at all impressed with our long history.

"You know each other?" he asked Frank. "Who is she what is she doing in my lobby?" He turned on me before Frank could answer. "Who are you, and what are you doing in my lobby? Why do you come here with your ice powers and rude roaring, and fat men in red suits, and fairytale creatures?" He eyed the rest of the Guardians mistrustingly.

"Well, so much for good first impressions," I heard Tooth sigh.

"Unfortunately we aren't here for simple pleasantries," I said shortly. "There is a matter of life and death I would like to discuss with you, your father, and a select few others that you find trustworthy."

He raised an unimpressed eyebrow, obviously not taking me seriously.

"Yes, well, I am very busy right now, running a hotel. If you would like to schedule a meeting, please talk to Johnny and he will get you onto our schedule within the next six months or so." He gestured to "Johnny" who was apparently the red headed young man manning the front counter. A very much human red headed young man.

"He can't see me," I said flatly, not at all amused with his little power trip game. "And in any case, this is the kind of life or death matter that has to be dealt with immediately; not in six months."

He frowned in confusion. "What do you mean he cannot see you, you're standing right in front of me! Look, I could touch you if I didn't feel like getting rudeness cooties from you."

I felt my temper licking dangerously close to the surface when I heard an elder voice interrupt before I could infect this Dracula with my "rudeness cooties."

"It's because they are all Lunar spirits," the man said, and I leaned around Count to see Vlad, looking much more stooped and wrinkled than the last time I had seen him.

"Vlad!" I said with a smile, stepping around a practically fuming Count. "It's so good to see you!"

"And you, Vera," he said kissing the back of my hand. "You don't look like you've aged a day."

"That's because I haven't," I teased. "One of the few perks of being a Lunar."

"Ol' Manny still giving you the cold shoulder?" he asked somberly.

I shrugged. "More or less."

Much to my enjoyment, Count seemed to be thoroughly peeved by our casual small talk.

"Would someone please tell me what the flapjack is going on?" He practically hissed. "What is a Lunar spirit, why can't Johnny see them, and why is mister freaky white guy icing my cleaning staff?"