Chapter Seven

Last Time on 'Giving Way to the Light':
Vera got mad at The Guardians for trying to pressure her into Guardianship, and made a dramatic exit by stealing one of Norths snow globes, and returning to the Ashdown Forest by Christopher Robin's home. Upset with the world and with herself, she breaks down and cries. Then, after pulling herself together, she decides to go visit Christopher. As she approached the house, she gets a bad feeling about the place. She enters the house to find both of Christopher's parents dead, the house a mess, and Christopher, alive but unconscious and very hurt. She rushes back to the North pole, flying as fast as she can with her still healing wing, and reaching top speeds of over 400 miles an hour, trying to get back to the only people who may be able to help save Christopher. She returns to the Guardians.

Vera Night was one very messed up little miss, that much Bunny knew for sure. Physically she was fit, and she seemed intelligent enough, and very much not as crazy as he thought she would be, but looking at her was like watching the antics of a neglected child. She had adored the Man in the Moon once upon a time, but she felt like she had been betrayed by him, much like Jack Frost had when they had first brought him in.

Speaking of Jack, the blighter had come back to the pole not long after Vera had made her dramatic exit. He had been unnaturally excited about meeting Reaper, and it was then that North insisted that they only call her by her actual name; Vera Night. When Sandy had finally finished his rounds, he came to join us as well. Apparently he was very disappointed that the rest of the Guardians had scared off their newest recruit.

"Ah, what do we need 'er for anywho?" Bunny asked the group. "'S not as if we're at war or anythin'. We've been stronga than ever before these last few years. We don' need her here."

"But ve do Bunny," North said, tiredly pinching the bridge of his nose. "Man in Moon is trying very hard to prepare us for something very big. The peace is coming to an end dear friend. I can feel it in my belly."

"So what are we going to do?" Jack asked. "We can't just go out there and kidnap her again. We don't even know where to start looking for her. Apparently, we don't know nearly as much about her as we thought we did. Bunny thought she was a guy for Moon's sake."

Bunny huffed indignantly, and crossed his arms.

"You thought she was a bloke too, ya ninny."

"Because you told me she was!"

Bunny looked ready to squabble with the young spirit further, but instead he harrumphed, and refrained.

North hummed thoughtfully, and everyone looked to him. Everyone was well acquainted with his, I-have-an-idea hum. "May have few ideas," he said, somewhat begrudgingly. "Don't much like idea. Bunny won't either. Might need to visit other Jack."

"There's another immortal Jack?" Jack Frost asked, intrigued with this new information.

"Yes," Tooth said. "Jack Skellington. The Pumpkin King of Halloween."

"Or Vera could be back with Christopher Robin. Iz also possible."

"So you're sayin' she's either with Christopher Robin or in Halloween Town with Jack Skellington?" Bunny and North shared a weary look.

"Not it!" They both shouted. Sandy snickered, thinking of Christmas several years earlier in which both of the Guardians had been kidnapped from their homes, to spend the night in Halloweentown. They had made everyone swear an oath never to speak of the situation again.

"Why don't Bunny and Sandy check at Christopher Robin's home to see if she's there," Tooth suggested sympathetically. "Jack and I can check Halloween Town, and North can stay here in case she changes her mind and comes back here."