Chapter Three

Chapter Three

Freak” the whisper that echoed off the grimy walls of the empty room awoke her from her dreamless sleep. Her eyes flickered open but there was nothing to see in the empty darkness around her. She struggled to lift her head but after a few tries she left it hanging like a limp doll – it took too much energy. She had lost all feeling in both her hands from where the cuffs dug into her flesh, but the steady drip of blood reminded her that the wounds were still open. Just as her eyes finally adjusted to the murky darkness, her head snapped to the side as a hand appeared and made contact with her face. The crack echoed across the dungeon like room.

Wake up” A voice whispered right by her ear, drawing shivers and goose bumps down her bare arms and legs.

Now, we’re going to play a little game.” She could hear the smile the deep raspy voice that had now moved in front of her.

The rules are simple so I'm sure you'll be able to understand. I’m going to ask a question, and if you don’t answer correctly…well…” She felt a cold jagged blade rest on her upper thigh. Use your imagination.” 

Name.” She could feel his breath fan across her cheek and shivered slightly.

I said, name.” He began to apply pressure to the dagger and she felt her skin break.

Kat-” Her breaths were short and fast “Katerina.”

Kat...I like it. Now lets not pretend we don't know that you freaks like to travel in packs.” He lifted the knife and Katerina's leg twitched as the wound began to knit back together slowly.

So where is the rest of your pack?” A shudder ran through her body and she felt a single tear trail down her face. She already knew what was coming.

I-I don’t have a pack” Her throat stung from dehydration as she croaked out the words.

Wrong answer.”

She felt him move suddenly, the air around him was drawn tight, and then he plunged the knife down into her thigh and stood up as a raspy scream ripped from her throat. When Katerina finally stopped screaming to take a breath, he spoke

I like you Kat, I really do, so I'm going to give you one more chance.” He leaned on the dagger until she felt it pierce the skin on the underside of her thigh. Her flesh was trying to knit itself back together but the dagger was in the way and simply doubled the pain.

I told you, I don't have anyone” she gasped through sobs.

YOU'RE LYING!” He reeled back and punched her so hard across the face the chair tipped over and hit the stone cold floor.

Clearing his throat, she felt him straighten up.

I'm going to back back later, but until then, you'll have a little souvenir to think of me” he tapped the dagger with his foot, opening the wound further before turning around and walking away. The door that opened showed light on the other side, silhouetting his figure as he left her. Back in the cold darkness, she closed her eyes and tried to think of a better place. But all she could feel was the wound slowly knitting back together around the dagger, if she didn't pull it out soon, it would have to be cut out.

As she tried to wriggle some feeling back into her fingers and her cheek rubbed against the grimy, sticky floor, a steady knocking began to sound.

Anybody home?” A voice sang out, feeling out of place and muffled.

“Hello?” The voice called out again, a life line pulling Katerina out of the murky dungeons and placing her upright in her bed with the sheets tangled at her feet. Realising the knocking was coming from the door to her room she stood up and shook off the remnants of the dream before opening the door a crack and poking her head through.