Some Things Just Make Everything More Complicated

“Would you like to introduce yourself?” he continued oblivious to the fact that I was in fact embarrassed beyond belief, already, and it had only been a few hours since I’d gotten here!

“Yeah because I totally want to look even more like a dork,” I said with a snort and he looked at me expectantly. Gosh another grown up that didn’t get sarcasm? I thought my parents were bad enough. Feeling a bit self-conscious I blurted out a few words “Ireallylikeartbutwhatevercanisitdownnow?” He blinked at me and scratched his shiny head.

“What was that again?” he asked apologetically. A voice from the back of the room spoke up and I cringed at the familiar tone.

“Maybe her special power is like talking like really stupidly fast.” The dumber girl from the bathroom said and I grimaced really? Why did she have to be in this class?

“You must have a Ph.D. to come up with something as meaningless as that.” I remarked dryly.

“No I- wait what?” she scrunched up her forehead and I quietly laughed before sitting down in the empty seat at the front. I noticed that the person sitting next to me was the tall guy in the hall way.

“Gosh, no, not you too.” I huffed and slammed my package of papers down. I left my luggage at the door, before lunch I was going to swing by my dorm room to drop it off. The brochure in the package said that I could just observe for the first day.

“Why is it that every time I meet with you, you’re pissed?” he asked and I imagine I must have turned some shade of red.

“Y-yeah um I’m just kinda stressed” I fidgeted with the paint brush in front of me. “You, know with the whole new school thing.” He slid a paint brush back into the jar and his hand brushed mine. ZAP!

“Ow!” I shouted and yanked my hand away. He shot me a guilty grin.

“Sorry, I forgot you didn’t know“ I observed my hand. I was getting a whole lot of mysterious injuries today.

“Know what?” I asked puzzled.

“I got my special power from my mom” I looked up and a thought came to me. No no no no…

“My mom’s the Headmistress”

Ugh.