Chapter 4: Morning And Sun-rays

The cool air washed through the metal box without mercy, nipping at face harshly. The sharp tingling-pain that this induced stirred me from my unpleasant slumber. It had been unpleasant for two reasons mostly. Reason 1: I had been kidnapped and was now in a van in God-knows where and reason 2: See reason 1.

I stretched out a goose-bump ridden arm in an attempt to wake myself up for the half-sleep state. I felt my elongated shudder and then slam into something hard. Looking towards the length of my arm, I saw the object that had barred my stretching path.

Gerard was sitting up, his side of the rough blanket wrapped around his knees; he was staring at me, his eyes glazed and hazy. I glanced at him nervously and slowly dragged my escaping arm back towards me.

“G’morning,” He spoke softly with his American drawl.

“I guess so.” I replied quietly, pushing myself up to a sitting position in one swift jolt. “Hoe did you sleep?” I asked politely, still not sure how to talk to someone who supposed to my idol. Although in my opinion the situation had changed slightly, what to say to my musical idol should have been the least of my worries.

“Okay considering. The blanket was actually very comfy.” He shrugged and the corners of his lips tilted upwards slightly. It was obvious he was just putting on a brave face, being the ‘fearless man’ of the situation; but his eyes gave away his true feelings. Behind the calm composure of his smiling face, the glint of frantic pleading in among the hazel told me how scared he really was. “You?” He retorted after a few moments of silence.

“Fine thank you.” I smiled back at him, trying to show him I could be brave too. “The singing really helped.” I admitted, feeling a small pink haze flood my cheeks simultaneously. “You sing like an angel.”  

“Thank you, it helped me too. I mean I pretty much sing for a living, right?” He chuckled a little but then his smile suddenly faded, replaced by a crease of worry along his forehead. “Besides, it’s kinda’ my fault you’re here in the first place.” He murmured, running a shaking hand through his coal hair.

“It’s not your fault, please don’t say that.” I stated as strong as I could. “I was the one crying, so you had to come out of the Arena.” I noted. “But it doesn’t matter who’s to blame, because we’re here now and that can’t be changed.”

“I guess so.” He said hesitantly, shuffling a little on the hard metal floor. “So now what?” He asked impatiently a moment later.

“We wait.” I muttered, folding my arms up to my ribs to keep a little insulation.

There was silence for a few minutes, neither Gerard nor I moved. The only thing I could hear was the soft breathing of Gerard, which seemed to echo around the metal box. 

“You know,” I said after a while, earning a glance for Gerard, indicating me to continue. “I actually dreamt of the day that I’d meet my musical heroes. I’d see you at the meet and greet session. I had always hoped I just get to meet you one day…” I trailed off to take a rapid gulp of cool air.

Gerard was still looking at me silently, his hazel eyes pressing into my nervously.

“Never in my dreams did I think I’d ever meet an idol in this sort of situation.” I took another shaky breath. “In my dreams I just wanted to give you a hug or a hand shake and tell you: ‘Thank you, you’re amazing’, that’s all. But now I’m stuck in a van with one and I don’t have anything to say.” I looked at him hesitantly.

Gerard still didn’t speak; he continued to gaze curiously at me, as if I was an artefact in a museum. As I watched him, I felt a warm tear fall down my face. My hand automatically went to wipe it away but before long the tears were streaming in rapid motion like a river down my now soaked cheeks.