Crying in the rain - Alone

Chapter Two

Alone

I guess I understand now. It took awhile to make things clear in my head but I had time to think about everything that had happened. I heard the beeping noise and I could smell the clean air. I was in a hospital. I have known that for a couple days now, but I couldn’t move or anything.

 I was able to twitch my hand, but I kept my eyes closed and pictured Colin and everyone all laughing in the car on the bridge. I remember Colin saving me and that weird dream I had when I passed out. I would have to tell him about it when everything is over. I heard someone faintly whisper my name so I decided to open my eyes. It was a difficult task, to keep them open. My eyes were practically glued shut; it surprisingly took a lot of energy for me to open them.

The lights in the room were so bright and the smell of cleaning alcohol burned my nose. I scrunched my face up and looked around. It was your standard hospital room, with a small window on the right of me and a door to the left.

“How are you feeling Emma?” The lady in white asked as she scribbled things down on a clipboard by the end of my bed; it was attached by a small string of floss. I shook my head and tried to talk back to her. I could tell my voice wasn’t going to be pleasing by the dryness of my throat.

“Good.” My voice was raspy and it hurt to talk. The doctor looked down at me and gave me a sympathetic smile. She sighed and continued to write on the clipboard before clearing her own throat and looking back up at me.

“I’ll have one of the day nurses bring you some ice chips to suck on for awhile, and then you should start to feel a little better.” She put the clipboard down on the foot of my bed and started to walk towards the doors.

“Do you want visitors? People have been worried…” She said, before leaving. When she turned around I shook my head yes; she smiled and then left without another word. A few minutes later someone opened the door. She was wearing blue scrubs and had a high pony tail. Her nails were really clean as she put a clear cup full of ice cubes in front of me on a moving tray that she moved near my bed side.

“When your throat hurts while you talk just take a few of these and suck on them. They should help with the talking when you get visitors.” She smiled at me as she grabbed my chart.

“I have to do a quick check-up on you if you don’t mind; otherwise you don’t get any visitors.” I smiled at her and took an ice chip to pop into my mouth. The ice melted away fast into the warmth of my mouth. The cool water trickling down my throat made me feel ten times better already. It was like finally getting a drink after a long day in the sweltering sun.

“Do you know what year it is?” She asked looking up at me.

“2011” My voice sounded a little bit better than the first time I talked, I tried to keep my composure at the happiness.

“Do you remember what happened?” She looked hesitant about this one as she didn’t make eye contact with me, and she stopped writing things down on her board.