Nerdy Skinny Hearts

Preface

Beautiful . . . that’s all every girl wants to be. To have perfect and silky hair, that either curls or straightens naturally. Or to have thick eyelashes that rim beautiful deep eyes with large irises. Oh, and a nice, curvy body with no fat to ruin her image! That’s a girl’s definition of beautiful . . . If only they knew.

Pretty and perfect are a girl’s two favorite words. They want a pretty figure and want a perfect walk. They want to look pretty while eating, and need to be perfect at everything they do. No girl can make a human mistake, because a human mistake is fatal one . . .  If only girls knew.

Being skinny is must, and being nerdy is a bust. Skinnier than her, and better than them! Ugh! No glasses or braces allowed because they are too gross and geeky! Oops—there’s a blemish! Ha! If only girls knew how beautiful they were . . . If only Angel Crawford knew.

Angel Crawford, she grew to be tall and shy. She was beautiful in her fifth grade year. Her hair was long and curly; eye’s round and doe-like. Angel was in fact a perfect beauty. The only thing that set her apart from all the other kids was that she was so tall . . . 

Girls would give her a side glance and mutter behind her back. “Oh she’s not that pretty!” and “She’s so tall and always hides behind those baggy shirts! I bet she’s fat!” Then the girls would snicker. But what the girls didn’t know was that Angel was skinny . . . a little too skinny; her ribs were defined and spine was sculpted against her skin. But it never was enough for poor Angel . . . she was always dieting and starving herself.

It seemed a little funny to her that boys actually seemed to be more sensitive than the girls. They would offer her to play basketball with them because she was so tall. Hey, they even thought her height was really cool. Though, because she was so shy, she always politely refused.

Middle school came along and she only had one or two close friends—close friends who didn’t even know the real her. They’ve never seen the frail girl that hid beyond the two sizes too big T-shirts and flare jeans. She also got glasses—large, thick, black glasses that rested on the top of her nose, and no matter how many times she begged and pleaded her parents for contacts, they could never afford it.

When she got to High school, everything got better, but at the same time, everything got so much worse.